what does it mean when you lose your mucus plug?

SharonHernandez

Asked by SharonHernandez at 11:00 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It means that you are dilating and or effacing. It doesn't mean a damn thing about how long it will be before you go into labor, so don't get too excited. They can regenerate, so you will lose it until you deliver. I lost mine at 33 weeks and did not deliver until 40.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on May. 31, 2009

• when I lost mine, I got very excited because everyone said it meant I was probably going to have my baby soon. I lost mine on a friday and had my daughter that following monday, three days after. It was better than when anonymous that answered the question first had her baby, but it was still days before I had my DD.
    lovemylife10

Answer by lovemylife10 at 11:07 AM on May. 31, 2009

• For the average TERM women it CAN (NOT a guarentee) mean that you will go into labor within a weeks time but like the first PP said it CAN regenerate so it doesn't necessarily mean you are going into labor.

Statistically though...if you are term it means a great deal more than if you lose it earlier on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on May. 31, 2009

• i lost mine at 31 weeks and am now 33 weeks, having alot of braxton hicks but you can lose it and go to your due date. every womans body is different
    babygirl9304627

Answer by babygirl9304627 at 11:13 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I lost mine at 36 wks on a Wednesday, my water broke on Friday and had my son on Saturday. Everyone is different though.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 11:14 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Some women will lose their mucous plug or part of their mucous plug weeks before they go into labor. Losing your mucous plug does not always mean labor will begin shortly. Keep in mind that even if a woman has begun to dilate, it may be weeks before she actually goes into labor. However, if you notice blood tinged mucous before your thirty-sixth week of pregnancy, notify your doctor right away. As your body prepares for labor your cervix will begin to dilate and thin. As your cervix opens up, your mucous plug may fall out. Losing your mucous plug is a good sign that labor is on its way. Though, it could be days or even weeks after you lose your mucous plug before labor actually starts. Many women do not lose their mucous plug at one time; instead, they lose it more gradually. They may notice an increase in vaginal secretions weeks before they go into labor.

NewLady1

Answer by NewLady1 at 11:17 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I guess everyone is different because I lose mine Thursday and was in active labor by 11am the next nmorning when i went to the doctor for my weekly check up 3 weeks early. Almost 4 weeks early. Go figure.
    berrios05

Answer by berrios05 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2009