first time planter.

i just got some seeds of parsly and basil . just tryin to make a liitle garden in my kitchen . i dont know what soil to use or how to plant it. plz help. and another thing does this grw back every year or just once and thats it.

michmm03

Asked by michmm03 at 11:12 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I disagree with the gravel on the bottom. The idea is that it helps with drainage-- it doesn't. I just fill my pots with the dirt.

Parsley may come back every year depending on how cold it gets. Mine didn't come back this year, but we had a really cold winter. Basil will usually not come back-- it's an annual. You also need to make sure the basil doesn't "go to seed"-- meaning you should not let it flower. Otherwise, it will start to taste bitter. To encourage continued leaf growth, let it grow a few inches, then start to pinch back at the junctures-- where the two leaves start to grow at the base of the leaf-- every now and then. More as the plant gets taller.

Have fun!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:06 PM on May. 31, 2009

• buy potting soil. Make sure that your pots have good drainage; you can put gravel in the bottom before you put in the dirt.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:20 AM on May. 31, 2009