Am I wrong?

I just got off the phone with my mom and she is unhappy that my brother will be attending his girlfriends church this morning. I asked "well, what type of church?" She said "I don't know."
"Well, why don't you go with him and check it out before you disapprove?"
"No, I will not."
Okay, my brother is an alchaholic and drug addict. What is the problem with him going to church - ANY church- if it keeps him busy and not indulging in his addictive behavior?? I asked my mom this. She said she didn't want to talk about it. I think his girlfriend is just a different denomination of Christian. Am I wrong in thinking the way I am?

Sorry if there are spelling errors.

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 11:20 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No. You are not wrong. Your mom is just stubborn. You know this. She'll get over it. Especially if she sees him going and he starts straightening up his shit. Good luck love.
    keb7

Answer by keb7 at 2:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• No, IMO I think any church would be good for him. If he finds his salvation and cleans up his life all is great. If it helps him I think your mom should be happy, I would be at least.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on May. 31, 2009

• If he believes or wants to believe then no, I don't see the problem.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:27 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Did you ask her to articulate her reason?

Answer by rkoloms at 11:28 AM on May. 31, 2009

• She said "That is not what we believe"
    What isn't what we believe?!?!?! How in the world is she supposed to know that another church is so different than ours if she won't even go to one service to see?!!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:33 AM on May. 31, 2009

• What is her reason though? Does the church teach doctrines that she believes are false? Does she think they are a cult? Or is it just a control thing; he isn't going to her church?

I am happy your brother is going to church and getting his life right. I just prayed for him.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:33 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I don't know how to spell it, sheriskidmore, Episcopelian? We ar Union Babtist. Very old school, very very very old school. Which is why I don't attend our church often anymore. I get yelled at everytime I go by my grandma because I don't wear skirts. I wear dress pants! I don't really think God gives a crap what you wear if you show up!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:35 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Cinnamon-mom she won't give an actual reason....it's so irritating!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:37 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Granted, my mom was rarely stubborn about such things, so we could talk this way, but I'd ask her point blank - is everyone who doesn't go to your church going to hell? Get it on the table and take it from there - don't let her get away with dodging the issue if she still intends to complain about it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:40 AM on May. 31, 2009

• when parents try to control thier childrens every move they will rebel! she needs to back off and let him be an adult! concernered about church ..... REALLY? she just seems like she's controlling and so she nit picking things because she doesn't like that he has another woman in his life that is influancing him. You were VERY right to tell her what you did
    AshleyG.

Answer by AshleyG. at 11:49 AM on May. 31, 2009