Good behavior in public -- Not so good at home

My 4 1/2 year old son is a complete angel in public Listens to everything I ask him to do or not do, is kind and sweet to everyone etc..
When we are at home, I don't want to say that he is bad, he is just a lot different. He doesn't listen all that well and we have meltdowsn. He IS still sweet and loving but the times that he isn't... Forget it...

It's frustrating! Of course I am so grateful he is so good in public and we aren't dealing with meltdowns in the middle of the grocery store.
I don't get it! Anyone experience this with their child/children?

BSFreeMama

Asked by BSFreeMama at 11:29 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well my son Anthoni is only 1 so no havent had this yet, but i think it's the age most kids are like that their allways better or around other then with mom and dad because they know you the best. Just try to keep him busy maybe it will make it a little easier
    SammiTaylorTM

Answer by SammiTaylorTM at 11:38 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I haven't had this happen with my son too often yet, he's 3, but with his sister it's a different story...She is now 8 and things have changed the last couple years. But when she was in kindergarten, I actually asked her teacher if she was as good as the lady said. I explained why, that she was a different animal at home, and the teacher said to me that if she had not seen this happen with a friend of hers' child she wouldn't believe it. I know how frustrating this can be BSFree Mama but hang in there! Your son is young and already knows how to push your buttons...Be glad he's not trying to push everyone else to the limit as well! That shows some restraint on his part does it not?
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 7:46 PM on May. 31, 2009

• At least its not the other way around! LOL. I bet that he just feels like he can let it all hang out at home, and thats a good thing. He's comfortable, he's secure, and he feels like he can let his true feelings show. KWIM? Just be consistant in your discipline and he will trun around. I also have a 4 1/2 year-old, and it seems to be a time for sass and attitude with you, and frustration with themselves.
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 10:38 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Maybe he is too bored at home? Just a guess.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:37 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• squish- between coloring, puzzles, dancing around, reading books together,having playdates and just playing by himself at times - I doubt he is bored. But thank you for throwing that out there but that isn't the case at our house. He is energetic from 6am until he goes to bed!! Wears me out!!! LOL
    BSFreeMama

Answer by BSFreeMama at 4:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2009