Good behavior in public -- Not so much at home...

My 4 1/2 year old son is a complete angel in public Listens to everything I ask him to do or not do, is kind and sweet to everyone etc..
When we are at home, I don't want to say that he is bad, he is just a lot different. He doesn't listen all that well and we have meltdowsn. He IS still sweet and loving but the times that he isn't... Forget it...

It's frustrating! Of course I am so grateful he is so good in public and we aren't dealing with meltdowns in the middle of the grocery store.
I don't get it! Anyone experience this with their child/children?

BSFreeMama

Asked by BSFreeMama at 11:30 AM on May. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• My 5 year old is and always has been the same way. We just choose our battles at home. The truth is, he's an amazing child, but if he has to misbehave, I'd rather he do it at home. I really really can't expect any child to behave *ALL THE TIME*.

I did notice, when I started getting on him about not behaving all the time all the time, he started acting out a bit more in public.
    misselphaba

Answer by misselphaba at 11:37 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Your son and my 5 year old daughter are exactly the same. In public she is so sweet. Her teacher at Mother's morning out says she is 1 of the best kids ever. She is an angel outside the house but the minute she walks in our front door she grows horns and a tail. I know exactly why she is like that she is REALLY shy and timid, but of course at home she's not.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 12:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• If your kid is being that good in public, he needs time to let loose and just be a kid. Thank goodness he's not running through the store aisles and making noise. He feels comfortable enough at home to be himself, but the rules and consequences for outside the home and inside the home should be consistent so he doesn't start to think he can always act out at home.
    2boysmom703

Answer by 2boysmom703 at 4:29 PM on May. 31, 2009