My 6 yr. old gets so frustrated when playing his Nintendo DS...do you have any recommendations on games???? He doe not play it often but when he does i think he could throw it!!!

He lives outside but there is just sometimes mommy needs a moment and he likes to play but i have to be with him by his side so he does not get frustrated. i let him try and figure it out but then i am there if he needs help.

corid

Asked by corid at 11:53 AM on May. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What kind of games is he playing. Has he learned to read yet? My son loves Mario games. He DOES get frustrated when things don't work the way he wants him to (yelling "I JUMPED") when he obviously has just lost a life because of NOT jumping in time. When he gets to that point, I tell him the Nintendo is for fun and if he's yelling at it, he's not having fun and it is time to put it away.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 11:55 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Six seems really young to be playing video games. What about books, a bicycle, blocks, trucks, etc. ?

Answer by rkoloms at 11:56 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Like I said, he does not do it often and he does do bikes, books, coloring, painting, crafts...etc. A lot of kids his age have one and he wants to play. I am a physical educator, so believe me that i want my kids to be active but kids also like video games. i like them too! :o) we set very strick limits so i am not worried about how much time he is spending on them.

I just was looking for ideas on what games are not frustrating. I appreciate the info.
    corid

Answer by corid at 12:15 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I got a ds lite for my birthday last year. My ds is 4 and really loves to play Mario Kart. He's getting really good at it. All the other games I have are to hard for him. I'm thinking about adding Phineas and Ferb to my collection so he has something else to play. It's his favorite show.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:58 PM on May. 31, 2009

• My son is almost 6 and we have a Wii. He does they same thing as pp said about SuperMario and other games. I have rented a few that look like kid games that are harder for him than I think a kid game should be. I almost got him a DS for christmas but choose to wait a bit for your same reason. We still use a Vtech Vsmile. He loves it and the games are more easy for him to do on alone time.
    Anonymous

• Here's some suggestions he might be interested in:

Jake Power (there's two other games by him on the left side in the side bar)

Happy Cooking

Petz Rescue: Ocean Patrol

Open Season

Surf's Up

Midnight Play Pack

YikezItzKaitlyn

Answer by YikezItzKaitlyn at 4:45 PM on May. 31, 2009

• My 4.5 year old likes these games:

Animal crossing-sort of gets it. he can get around and do things needs to read to fully enjoy
    cooking mama-he gets it but some of it is over his head again reading would help
    nintendogs-LOVES this game not much reading required
    crayola treasures-not as into this game as I thought he would be but he likes it
    smart boys club-a lot of mini games may be to young for your son.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:51 PM on May. 31, 2009

• OH! and Spore creature creator.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:53 PM on May. 31, 2009

• The games mentioned in the other post and more video games are here  http://www.cjkidz.com/shoppingnew.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:38 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Thank you so much for the suggestions! I will check them out!
    corid

Answer by corid at 12:22 AM on Jun. 1, 2009