nightmares...

my daughter is 4 and she been suffering what i think is nightmares for the last 2 yrs. ive sensored what she watches, cut the sugar out of her diet, my ds and her phycoligist say its a behavoral issue, but i dont agree bc its worst when she comes back from her dad's house. i took her out of counseling with the local dr...but i want to take her to a different dr.. but they wont see her with out her dad's consent and he wont sign the papers....i dont know what to do...help!

rainmommy

Asked by rainmommy at 11:53 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Are they nightmares or night terrors? Think of what a nightmare is to you, an adult. At that age, they're typically night terrors. My daughter had them, but my son did not. I thought my daughter had a mental problem. I remember frantically calling the pediatrician and he explained it all to me. They are at an age where they can't really distinguish the difference between reality and fantasy. Fantasy coming from many places.....their own imagination, tv, movies, toys, etc. It lasted awhile, and just went away. She's now 26 and definitely has no issues.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:01 PM on May. 31, 2009

• This may sound crazy but try to give her a glass of milk right before bed dont let her drink or eat anything after it. My neice also used to have them and now my sister in law gives her milk as the last thing right before bed and found that its calmed her and hasnt given her nightmares since. Hope this helps:)
    SammiTaylorTM

Answer by SammiTaylorTM at 12:05 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Well, I read in my child psych that contrary to popular belief nightmares, night terrors and even sleepwalking are normal for this age and are not indicative of trauma. How can your brainwave activity while sleeping be behavioral?

It's not as though anyone has control over that. I think you should see a different psych. doctor they will probably tell you it's normal.

Does her dad really have a problem consenting to a medical evaluation that might make her life more comfortable?

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 12:56 PM on May. 31, 2009

• My 4 year old has night terrors and its almost an every night thing that we have to deal with. The doctor gave us some medicine to help him sleep better but we dont give it to him unless he is having a real bad night because I dont want him to be drugged up everynight. She says he will grow out of it. Out of 4 kids he is the baby and the only one that has had night terrors.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 7:13 PM on May. 31, 2009