• In the Spotlight:

How much pedialite should I give her?

My daughter is 9 1/2 months old and has diarrhea for 2 days. I dont want her to get dehydrated so I want to know how much pedialite should I give her and how often.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is nursing regularly, she should not need Pedialite.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:15 PM on May. 31, 2009

• You do an even mixture of pedialite and water. You should only give it to her twice a day. Do the brat diet with her. Give her bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. Baby food is fine and you don't have to give her toast if you don't want to.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:19 PM on May. 31, 2009

• my dr told me plain water is better.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 12:28 PM on May. 31, 2009

• my dr told me they dont like to give babies water at that age and to stick with pedialyte. it should say on the bottle. i would consult your dr, if you have to call the hospital and ask to speak to ur dr or whoevers on call, just to see what they say. sounds like every dr has a different opinion so yours would know whats best for your child, hope she feels better soon.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:36 PM on May. 31, 2009

• call your doc at home. A young baby like that can dehydrate so fast and by the time you notice its severe. you never know it could be rotoviris and if it is and isnt treated she will end up in the hosp.
    Anonymous

• I would do a couple oz at a time. If she is formula fed I would back off on the formula or give a soy or lactose free formula, half strength (4 oz water, 1 scoop formula) This is because the lactose will make dairrhea worse.
    if you baby is breastfed you can continue to breastfeed and just give small amounts of pedialyte in between to keep up with the extra fluid loss
    Never mix anything with pedialyte, so don't add water to it like the pp suggested.
    If she is eating baby foods... limit them and then add slowly the foods in the BRAT diet (high starch foods) Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast (or any breads or pastas)
    Keep an eye on her to make sure he doesn't become lethargic.. and watch for signs of dehydration: sunken soft spot, dry lips, no tears, no wet diaper in 8 hours (hard to tell with diarrhea)
    If it is rota virus there isn't a treatment for it like the anon poster said. The only thing that can be done is IV fluids
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:44 PM on May. 31, 2009