when can you start babies on using a staw sippy?

My daughter is 10 months and she use the nuk starter cups and she loves them! but i was just wondering when i can give her the straw ones... i have tried and she just bites on the straw.

proudmomwifey

Asked by proudmomwifey at 12:24 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that whenever your child is ready it is fine to give a staw cup to them. My son is 10 months and he's been using them since he was 8 months. he does fine with them and every baby is different and yours will do it in their own time :)
    AshleyG.

Answer by AshleyG. at 7:23 PM on May. 31, 2009

• When she can drink from a straw. Discourage her from chewing on them and take them away if she does. Our daughter is 8 months and uses a sippy cup and soon she will get her straw cup and if she chews it then I will take it away from her. Its a new feeling for her and you can break her from chewing on it by taking it away or use a regular cup with a hard straw until she stops bitting them.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:26 PM on May. 31, 2009

• my son turns 1 june 16 and he just learned to drink from a straw yesturday.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:31 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Try it now. Some babies do well with a straw at only two or three months.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:33 PM on May. 31, 2009

• We use stainless steel sippys and water bottles; they are easy to keep clean (though they only get water).

Answer by rkoloms at 1:13 PM on May. 31, 2009

• You can definitely keep trying now. My daughter was exclusively drinking from straw sippies at 11 months (well, along with nursing...). They're better for their teeth than regular sippies. They make them BPA free now and they're not so expensive that you can't replace them frequently. You just have to teach her not to bite. Say "no biting" every time she does it and take the cup away (for a few seconds) .... give it back and resume. At 10 months, she should get it quickly.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:12 PM on May. 31, 2009