Will the throwing up ever stop? Question about Gastro-esophageal reflux.

So, I took my son to the DR about 2 months ago he is 3 months now. They said that he has Gastro-esophageal reflux. They gave him Axid which is an antacid. He still throws up just as much as he did before we put him on the medicine and he is still just as fussy! I did talk to his DR, but he said that he is so young and little that nothing else can be done. So I want to know if there are any other moms out there that have a baby with this. How long did the projectile vomiting last and the screaming last? I'm just about to loose my mind here. I want nothing more than to have a happy baby, but he is anything but that.

Thanks!

pinkbutterfly

Asked by pinkbutterfly at 12:36 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son has GERD - he's been taking Zantac since he was 5 weeks. It didn't really help with the amount of spit-up, but it kept it from irritating him so much. He hardly spits up at all now - and just turned 8 months; it got MUCH better around 5-6 months. When they start being able to sit up, and sit with support, stuff tends to stay down. I don't do nearly as much laundry! He has some other belly issues, so he is still taking formula, Nutramigen, just about 100% of the time. Like the pp's, keep baby upright for at least 20 mins after feeding and some babies do really well with a wedge in the crib. Also, turns out my son was lactose & soy intolerant - he got MUCH happier when we put him on the Nutramigen. So for now, wear inexpensive clothes and load up on burp rags! Message me if you like, I know it is a rough road - but it does get better!!!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 1:34 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Have you tried a different formula? If your breastfeeding have you tried formula? he may have an allergy to breast milk. Or his formula might be to strong. You can try the gentle ease formula or even a soy based one. Burp him often, slow his feedings down. Let him eat an oz and then have him rest for 10 minutes then let him eat another oz and so on until he is done. Do not lay him down once he is finished. Keep him at an upright position for at least 30 minutes to avoid stomach upset. Good luck and I hope this gets better for you.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:40 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I tried all sorts of formula and still throws it up. I figure I'm not going to pay for the allamentum or how ever you spell it if he is going to throw it up too. We do feed him sitting straight up because the second you lay him back up it comes. I will try letting him rest in between that's about the only thing we havn't tried... we even elevated one side of his crib mattress so that he is never totally laying down. I've never had such a hard time with a baby (this is my 3rd).
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 1:07 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Ask his doctor about maybe trying a different medicine for the acid reflux. My youngest daughter has it, and Prevacid is the only medicine that worked for her. Also, try feeding him some YoBaby organic yogurt. It's made especially for babies and toddlers, and it seems to help sooth the stomach and at the same time help hold formula down.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 1:21 PM on May. 31, 2009

• My son had reflux also. He was on Alimentum formula, along with a few different antacids, Prevacid being the one that finally worked. Rice cereal mixed with formula helped him to keep from spitting up too much, also making sure that he was in a sitting position after he ate. He never really had the projectile vomiting, but he did spit up a whole lot. He was referred to by the pediatrician as a 'happy spitter' because he was just fine otherwise and didn't seem bothered by it. When he was about 9 months old (maybe sooner, I can't remember) he finally just one day stopped spitting up. Hang in there, it will get better.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 1:25 PM on May. 31, 2009

• My DD had it when she was a baby and was put on Zantac. SHe was on it for about a month and then all the sudden the vomiting stopped and she was fine. Haven't had a problem since. BTW she was abput 2 months old when she had it and it was gone by 4 months old. Good Luck
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 2:19 PM on May. 31, 2009

• AAA Thank you ladies for the words of encouragement! We only have one refill left of Axid and then I have an appointment to see a gastro DR for him. He is just so unhappy! I don't even think the Axid does anything. He screams just as much as before we put him on the medicine, and believe me that stuff is not cheap. I started feeding him some first foods along with the rice cereal, and that seems to stay down just fine, but when he eats the formula he throws his head back, screams, and pukes. I guess the way it's gonna have to be is more food less formula.

Thanks so much everyone!
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 4:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2009