Depo Shot

I recently heard that it could take up to 18 months after you get off the shot to get pregnant. I'm wondering if I should have picked a different kind of BC. My husband and I wanted to try again in about a year and I'm wondering if anyone else had problems getting pregnant after being on the shot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• After being on the Depo shot for three years from 13-16 I didn't get pregnant till I was 17 years and 5 months old.(delivered may 28 , 2000) I took one dose of it after my son was born NO other birth control and I didn't get pregnant until December 2002.(delivered Sept 2003) I don't recommend the depo shot for anyone who does want children as It was very difficult for me to conceive and I have know many others it has negatively affected. Both in fertility and in over health of the woman taking it. If you are really worried and wanting to try I would talk to your doctor and discuss you options. Extra friendly baby dust to you .
    Tygermommanikki

Answer by Tygermommanikki at 4:10 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I didnt have any probs with fertility after the shot but while on it i did have issues with blood clotting. Please be carefulw ith this method as it nearly cost me my life. good luck with the baby dance!
    Anonymous

• You get the shot every 3 months so if you decide you don't want it any longer then wait until your next appointment and ask for an oral medicine or get the nuva ring or the patch. The depo tends to mess with your body and hormone levels and causes missed periods or no periods or sometimes longer than usual periods so the sooner you get off the better.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:42 PM on May. 31, 2009

• It really depends. it took me a year after my last shot but my friend got pregnant the minute she didn't go in to get hers. Everyone is different. I have two friends who got pregnant while on depo!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:43 PM on May. 31, 2009

• everyone is different, it took my sister a year, and me 6 months, but i was only on it for 6 months she was on it for a few years. good luck.
    Anonymous

• i recently was on depo and depo is not very healthy at all you dont have your regualr menstrul cycle like you do when you are on the pill, but the wonderful thing is i got off of it before i had any problems and got striahgt on the pill so much healthier for you but im not sure how long it will take i think it will take longer bc your menstral isnt the same
    NewLady1

Answer by NewLady1 at 1:13 PM on May. 31, 2009

• i got prgnant while on the depo shot with my 2nd child. i didnt know i was pregnant until i went in to get the shot and they took a test to check, like they always do before they give the shot.
    Anonymous