why do moms have such a hard time calling their kids docs at home?

When a doc goes into the field of pediatrics, any medicine really, they expect as part of the job description that they will get calls after hours and weekends.I do not understand why so many moms ask serious health questions here rather than call the childs doc, especially babies. Not bashing anyone I am just truly curious why if your baby is sick are you searching for serious medical advice here? yes some moms do have experience(dont we all lol?) but not like a pediatrician. arent you worried that your child will get sicker and more miserable while you put off the call?I mean geesh, doctors work for us, they need to be available 24/7 or heck fire them and find a better one. why do moms do this"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The ped offices I've dealt with in my town have a 24hour answering service. I never worry about calling. That's what they are paid for!

Although, I could see posting a few questions while waiting for the call back to try to ease my mind.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 1:03 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I have NO PROBLEM having the dr paged if something is wrong with either of my boys. And when I was pregnant for myself. I'm not sure why people are hesitant. I suppose they don't want to have him paged for something "not that serious". But I figure, if it's something I'll ask a question about then it's worth the call.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:02 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I don't even have my ped's home number! And I wouldn't call it. Most of the time, I an find the info I need online...plus personal testimonies on CM. And the majority of the time, my instincts lead me to making the right choice about my son's health...and there's nothing the doc will tell me that's any different from info I find online or that I haven't figured out for myself. And if there's something seriously wrong & the office is closed, I can go to the emergency room.
    Anonymous

• Not every family has a doctor. Some doctors charge for afterhours calls and this is a hardship for some families. Sometimes parents just want to do a "gut check" before they call a doctor.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:09 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I would have no hesitation calling in the middle of the night. That's their job and they ARE on call.....
    BSFreeMama

Answer by BSFreeMama at 1:10 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I didn't even know you could call them at home...I thought most places had a 24-hour service with nurses that you could talk to....I have no problem calling them.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:17 PM on May. 31, 2009

• If something is seriously wrong of course I'd call the doctor. But when I ask a question regarding my son's health it's mainly because I know I'm a paranoid mother and I want to see if it is something I should be concerned about, or advice from moms who have experienced the same thing. If my kid was lying on the floor having trouble breathing I would not be on cafe mom asking "is this normal?". But for example, when my son was born he would make this really weird noise when he slept. My mother told me it was normal, but I wanted advice from OTHER moms as well.
    Anonymous

• Move to my area...there is 1 ped within 50 miles, and he does not provide an after hours number. Some people cannot afford to go so far for a doctor.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:43 PM on May. 31, 2009

• No doctor in my area provides medical attention or even accepts calls after hours. I don't know where you live! The only available option is the ER. Plus, who wants to pay a couple hundred dollars to a doctor when you just need a question answered? Now, no way am I gonna ask Cafemommies how to treat chicken pox or to provide vaccinations, LOL, but I see no harm in asking for remedies, suggestions, and tips.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 3:03 PM on May. 31, 2009

• OP
    I should have been more clear-obviously if your doc is 50 miles away or you have no money for the doctor, or its a gut check briefly, that is NOT AT ALL what I meant. I am speaking to the moms whose babies have had a fever for 3 days,a rash and vomitting and still are saying"what should I do". Or the moms who believe everything they read online or from anothet mom, not considering that all babies are different. For me personally i would rather trust the pediatrician(who is also a parent btw) with a medical degree versus MomHealer55(made up screen name) for advice on my baby...its too big of a risk. and to those who said"we pay them" you are damn right.
    Anonymous