my 18 month old can count to 3 is that normal or above average?

Slooch

Asked by Slooch at 1:07 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Normal. I say this because there's such a variation, I'd think most can memorize counting at least to a few numbers. I know ds goes up to 8 or 9 before getting lost, and he's also 18 mos!
    Anonymous

• i have no idea what's considered normal... my daughter will be 18 months old tomorrow and knows the whole alphabet and numbers 1 thru 10.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 1:13 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Children can memorize A LOT of things. Education theorists (and some teachers still do) think that children have a blank slate. That is soooo not true. Even a baby (under a year) can memorize sounds that represent objects or actions. Look at the babies who learn American Sign Language.

My suggestion is that now that s/he is counting, represent it appropriately. For example show the difference between one cheerio next to 2 cheerios. Children tend to think that 1 cheerio (after counting up) represent a different number which confuses them.

Enjoy teaching your lil one!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:36 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I would say it's about average/a bit below average, but all kids learn at different speeds. I learned to count to ten by the time I was fifteen months old, and I wasn't even a year before I knew my basic colors.
    YikezItzKaitlyn

Answer by YikezItzKaitlyn at 2:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Don't scare her by telling her "a bit below average". For crying out loud, Einstein didn't even talk until he was four. I think it's wonderful that your little one is already counting. I got excited when my 2 y/o was counting. Your child is ahead of mine. Just keep feeding their minds. They're sponges!!
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 2:39 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I wasn't saying it to scare her. It's still around average, and like I said; all kids learn at different speeds. My aunt is a school teacher, and she's told me before that most kids learn to count to at least 5 by 19-24 months. I didn't mean to alarm her; I was just saying what my aunt told me.
    YikezItzKaitlyn

Answer by YikezItzKaitlyn at 3:55 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Well, then her LO has at least 1 month before he has to learn 4 and 5, now doesn't he?
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 5:19 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I would say pretty average, but every kid is different!
    LCmommyof2

Answer by LCmommyof2 at 9:35 PM on May. 31, 2009