how do you make friends after you just moved and are prego and everyone smokes or drinks?

we just moved from az to il and everyone my husband knows smokes, drinks, parties or does a drug. I don't do any of that and don't feel right around them like a might be harming my baby so how do i make friends?

mom2bedec2009

Asked by mom2bedec2009 at 1:32 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• Look on cm for friends in your area. Maybe you can meet some of them in person and go to lunch or do play dates when the baby is born. You can add me as a friend if you want, i'm not in your area but we can chat or whatever.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 1:43 PM on May. 31, 2009

• What sorts of things are you interested in? You might find a moms group or a church group and look for friends there.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:40 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I live in las vegas and there's alot of that here too...if it wasn't for my mom and sister I wouldn't know anyone.we did sign her up for swimming lessons and I am meeting people that way, but when you're pregnant it's hard...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:45 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Get a new husband. Kidding. My husband and I had friends like that before we had our first daughter and we just let them go. We decided they weren't "our people" anymore and it's best to stick with "our own kind". We meet people through work mainly and friends we've had in the past that have grown up and don't do drugs or drink all the time anymore either.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 1:50 PM on May. 31, 2009

• i lived in my town for 6 years before having my baby, and most of my friends were like that. then once preggo they all disappeared, so I had to start all over making friends. my friends with children pretty much all moved! I found a local group on cafemom but dont really have much in common with them and their babies are all older, so i always felt uncomfortable at the playgroups. I remembered hearing about playgroups at the library, and started going to those! they split the groups into age range and it has been wonderful. the babies are all close in age and I met a few mamas close to my age and they are really cool and open minded. i've only managed to hang out with one outside the playgroup, but thats ok for now! i enjoy having something to look forward to each week!
    Anonymous

• Take a parenting class or any kind of class. Most campuses don't allow smoking on site so you could meet folks there. If you like to read, join a book discussion group at the library (no smoking there). I met a lot of my friends there. Some women even take their husbands with them to those. You can go to the MOMS tab above and do a search for CM moms in your area and see if they want to get together. Don't hesitate to ask them if they smoke and/or drink. If they get offended then you don't need to get up with them anyway and find another one. Maybe you could get several to meet at a local park or Mickey D's for a meet & greet.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Sounds like you really need to watch who your going to have around your Newborn. Your Husband should start realizing this as well and pull away a little bit. Life after a kid is NOT the same as before. Do you really want People that are doing drugs around your child?
    Anonymous

• take a prenatal yoga class, that way you can meet other moms who will have young babies around your babies age.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:10 PM on May. 31, 2009

• If you are near Chicago, send me a message and I will point you in the right direction.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:35 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Join a local mom's group. Try checking out www.meetup.com.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 5:18 PM on May. 31, 2009