"My baby can read" program-tried it?

Has anyone tried this program. I've seen the infomercials a bunch of times and my impression is that it is repetition of words associated with pictures and sometimes actions. Something that, to me, shouldn't cost as much as it does and can be fabricated at home. So, we didn't get it but we do some similar things at home.
Yesterday we were at a party and a lady told my hubby that her 2 year old son is started to read due to this program. I don't know the extent to what he knows and of course he didn't ask questions, as I would have.

So my question is have you or anyone you know tried it and what are your thoughts?

marsha78

Asked by marsha78 at 1:40 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's not reading. He has the "look" of words memorized. It doesn't teach phonics, it teaches memorization.

It's a huge waste of money. If you want your son ("your" being a general "your" not specific) or daughter to learn to read by memorization, just keep working with flash cards you make on your own. Don't teach them how to sound out words, what sounds the different letters make and how to blend those sounds to make words.

Also be prepared for later when they start learning to actually spell and have difficulty.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I agree with TiccledBlue. Do NOT buy into this program.

As you've noticed, it's something you can easily (and cheaply) do at home. What's more, it may very well HARM long term academic success. There have been some studies that have found that kids who learn to "read" by memorizing what a word looks like have a harder time learning to read properly later and fall behind the kids who learn phonics first.

Help your child learn to read. Teach your child the alphabet - not just to say the ABC's but to recognize the letters. Don't do this with flashcards though, keep it fun and just a normal part of life. Then teach the letter sounds. Then teach how those sounds work together to make words. Then - and only then - introduce the words that don't follow the rules... the "sight words" that everyone has to memorize at some point.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:10 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I do teach my children using flashcards and real life objects and much repetition already. I started both of them at or a little before 1 year old. It has worked well for me. I just wanted to know other moms' opinions on this product.
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 9:41 AM on Jun. 1, 2009