"My baby can read" program-tried it?

Has anyone tried this program. I've seen the infomercials a bunch of times and my impression is that it is repetition of words associated with pictures and sometimes actions. Something that, to me, shouldn't cost as much as it does and can be fabricated at home. So, we didn't get it but we do some similar things at home.
Yesterday we were at a party and a lady told my hubby that her 2 year old son is started to read due to this program. I don't know the extent to what he knows and of course he didn't ask questions, as I would have.

So my question is have you or anyone you know tried it and what are your thoughts?

marsha78

Asked by marsha78 at 1:41 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have seen the programs and I did not buy them because I knew we could do the same thing at home. I bought a whole bunch of flash cards. (My son is 3 and my daughter is 18 months.) I bought flash cards with ABC's and 123's, shapes, colors, words and pictures, etc. I work with both of my kids for 45 minutes a day and my son has memorized some of the words that are printed on one side of the card and he knows what all the pictures are already. He knows the words monkey, lion, king, queen, bee, light, and some others. It is all about the child seeing and hearing the word repetitively. My daughter doesn't know the words yet but she know some of the pictures and they both know their colors and shapes. I love the flash cards. You just have to make a point to sit down and teach your kids every day and for about 25-45 minutes a day. You can teach without spending lots of $. Go to stores and find learning projects like the cards.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 1:48 PM on May. 31, 2009

• We bought it and liked it...to each their own.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:51 PM on May. 31, 2009

• There is no need to spend your money on things that you can simply do yourself.
    Why does a baby need to read so young, anyway? Why can't they just enjoy being a baby? They'll be reading in a few, short years and then for the rest of their lives.
    I also do not see the sense in having a baby face a tv screen or computer monitor just to stare at a word and it's association. Buy books from the bookstore and take them to the library for them to look at those same sorts of books! Spend time with your child saying short words as you do things so they can make the appropriate associations!
    I'm assuming that most of the moms on here can read and did so as a normal child, unless they had a disability, but if you are here, then you CAN read. Is it because you or your parents bought you expensive nonsense that today's technology is aiming at parent's today? I don't think so.
    Teach your own children!
    Anonymous

• I do teach my children using flashcards and real life objects and much repetition already. I started both of them at or a little before 1 year old. It has worked well for me. I just wanted to know other moms' opinions on this product.
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 9:40 AM on Jun. 1, 2009