Getting rid of WIC?

My son will be 1 year in August, meaning he won't be needing formula anymore. I got on WIC to help out w/ that cost. Now I am working & I know I'll be able to afford milk, food, etc. I don't think I'll be needing WIC anymore. I have a WIC appointment at the end of July, which he'll be weighed & all that, plus getting my vouchers. I do not want to go to that appointment & continue to be on WIC. Can I just call & tell them that I no longer want to be on the program or am I obligated to go? I just got on WIC to help out w/ me just getting started. It's not something I want to stay on forever.

What do they start getting on WIC when they turn one, anyway? Just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can "quit" at anytime. Really, programs like WIC are MEANT for people like you. You're not supposed to stay on it forever. I really only needed it for formula too, and once my son is one I won't need it anymore either so I will most likely stop it.
    Anonymous

• FROM ORIGINAL POSTER: I just know some people who will ride out any program that they can. I didn't even have WIC from the start. I breastfed, then switched to formula & got on WIC after a few months. The woman @ the office was asking me why I hadn't been on WIC since I was pregnant. I didn't need it, duh, woman! Some people just like getting free stuff & I feel like if I can afford certain things, then why stay on the program when I can afford it myself?!
    Anonymous

• Are you sure you didn't know the answer to this question before you posted it? Or did you just ask it to rant about people who abuse the program? First your question. No you do not need to go to the appt. or call. You can just stop altogether. Second, its great your able to provide for yourself and child.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 2:17 PM on May. 31, 2009

• OP, exactly why are you asking the question when you already know the answer? Are we talking about "some women" or are we talking about YOU? If you don't need it, then don't take it. Don't worry about what "some women" do.

And you must be one of those women you're complaining about...after all, didn't YOU get free formula, cereal and baby food too? Maybe YOU just like getting free stuff.

(Doesn't feel good to be judged, does it???)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:02 PM on May. 31, 2009

• FALLAYA: Why are you getting all defensive?! I was seriously asking how I can get off the program. I got on WIC b/c at the time I needed the help! What is wrong w/ that?! I am on my feet now & I don't need the program anymore! WTF is your problem?!

Why are you talking about me getting free stuff & getting judged?! You are taking this the wrong way...I don't think you understand my question or situation.
    Anonymous

• From OP: Get a grip, people! I didn't ask as question to disguise a rant about women who abuse programs (WIC, Food Stamps, etc.) I do realize that there are people on here who use the Answers section to do that. THIS IS NOT WHAT I AM DOING. I had a sincere question that I wanted answered. I swear, people answer questions...all ready to be defensive & nothing ever get solved b/c a lot of you are ready to bite someone's head off. I had simple a question. Thank you to those who answered objectively.
    Anonymous