Feline Leukemia Vaccine...

Who has had it given to their cats and what influenced your decision to do so?

Tygermommanikki

Asked by Tygermommanikki at 1:57 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Pets

• I do not vaccinate my cat. He's 8. I also do minimal vaccinations on my 3 dogs.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:06 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I gave it to my cats when they were younger...now I dont take them, b/c when they see the carrier, they literally disappear for days...anyway, if they catch the disease it will kill them....if you are taking your cat to the vet and if theres' any chance he will go outside or have contact with an outside cat then yes, i would get it. BTW< my cats are ONLY indoors.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:11 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Thanks for your answers.
    Tygermommanikki

Answer by Tygermommanikki at 3:27 PM on May. 31, 2009

• well I had a cat that died of Feline Leukemia shortly after giving birth to four kittens. Everything that she went through and there was nothing I could do to help. It was horrible. I would hope that everyone would get there cat Vaccinated. due to watching that and putting my kitty to sleep so she wouldn't suffer my cat that I got now has had it I love her so much I wouldn't want her to go through something that painful.
    millerangel89

Answer by millerangel89 at 11:53 PM on May. 31, 2009

• my cat died of that disease and she was an indoor cat. she caught it while we were moving and had to stay in a hotel for a few nights. i'm assuming she caught it there b/c the vet told me to throw away everything that cat had been around so the other cat wouldn't catch it and to wash everything i didn't throw out with bleach. hotels, not that thorough. luckily my other cat didn't get it. she was only 2 months behind on her shots when she caught it, she had had all her shots up until then and was 5 yrs old. very very sad, i would hope everyone would get their pets vac'd b/c you never know, it was an awful thing to watch her suffer the way she did. and it took forever to diagnose so there was no helping by the time she was diagnosed it was after she had passed away.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:19 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Even if they are indoor cats, they can catch it as simply as sitting in an open window (with a screen) and another cat coming up and hissing at it. This is the reason why I still vaccinate my cat for it. He never goes outside, but there's still that chance.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:11 AM on Jun. 1, 2009