Homeschooling Kindergartener in WA

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer too. My ds will be 5 in Oct. He misses the cut off date for kindergarten. He is already doing the stuff that the kindergarteners are doing now at the end of the year. I have decided to homeschool him for kindergarten and first grade (there is an age restriction for first grade too) I know the law in Washington is that they have to be enrolled in school, whether it be public, private, or homeschool, by age 8. Does anyone know what kind of records I need to keep or if I still need to have the qualifications? He will be 7 by the time I put him in second grade.

sadira29

Asked by sadira29 at 2:10 PM on May. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You should be able to find answers to just about any question you have, here: http://www.hslda.org

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 2:26 PM on May. 31, 2009

• just be aware that HSLDA, while serving as a source for state requirements for homeschool, also has a conservative and religious agenda and does NOT represent the best interests of all homeschoolers.

here's another source for washington homeschooling requirements: http://www.washhomeschool.org/

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:15 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I live in Minnesota, so I am telling you this based on my experiences here. If your manditory school age is 8, you shouldn't have to be subject to any school rules until your child is 8. I think you should keep records of the homeschooling you are doing, just so you can show the school people what he has done when he gets to second grade (to help them place him). They will test him also to decide where to place him and if he needs any special ed. I think you did well to homeschool him.
    momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 1:45 AM on Jun. 1, 2009