Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

health insurance

Ok so I am a SAHM my oldest turned 18 this past weekend and i told dh that he needed to check into the changes that were going to happen with the health insurance (its through his work so i am not sure how to look into it) because i thought that once a child turns 18 they HAVE to be in college to still be covered. He will not listen to me and he just keeps yelling and saying that he is right and being a total jerk. So does anyone know the laws or how the insurance stuff works that can help me? I tried google but, i didn't find very helpful info.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on May. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (9)
  • I'm not sure myself. But I would try asking your husband to check again, but In a different way. Ask him to please check for your piece of mind. Add that it never hurts to be careful and perpared. Say the last thing I and Im sure you want is for something to not be right and later have to dell with it at a time that is not good for us. GL.

    Answer by soonmommyof3 at 2:26 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • It might depend on the insurance provider, but i dont think they HAVE to be in college to be covered once they are 18. My sister will be 19 in August, and is covered on my moms still. But she still lives with her too. Your husband does not have to be the one to call the insurance company to find out. Get your policy number and the 800 number for the company and call yourself. (That info should be on your insurance card) You may have to know your husbands social or some other information though too. Also, a lot of insurance providers have web sites that have all kinds of information about your coverage on it.

    Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:57 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • My kids have to be in college for 7 semester hours to keep insured on our plan. B/C B/S Better have your dh check for specifics because they do make you sent proof they are in college.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:19 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • actually, every one in our family has a seperate card so if you or your dh have a card, just call the custome number and ask.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:21 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • Generally, I believe it is age 19 that they are covered until, unless they are a full time student. Call the number on your card and they can give you the specifics.

    Answer by Krysta622 at 4:12 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • You should have an insurance card. There is a phone number on the card. Call it and ask your question. Not all policies are the same.

    Answer by rkoloms at 4:25 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • Most will not cover dependent over the age of 18, unless in school. Either in college or still in high school...

    You may have problems getting the information, because some insurance companies will only give out information to the subscriber...

    Answer by PestPatti at 6:55 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • Our insurance will cover them until 19 (because a lot of 18 year olds haven't even graduated high school...). Once they turn 19, you have to turn in proof that they are enrolled in school or that they are disabled somehow.

    Answer by Silvertears1275 at 7:19 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • I think it varies from employer to employer and the policy at hand. If he is being an ass about it you can put your mind at ease with a simple phone call or two. Call the ins company or human reasources at his work and ask.

    Answer by salexander at 1:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.