How do you know when you've "dropped"? What does that mean in terms of birth?

I'm 35 weeks and been feeling a ton of pelvic pressure that can be over whelming at times.

When I accidently roll onto my belly or when DH and I are having intercourse (sorry if that's TMI) and I lean forward I can like feel his head so I know he's low but I don't know if I've "dropped" or what that technically even means.

How do you know when you've "dropped" and what does that even mean in terms of getting ready for birth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Dropping has to do with how far into your pelvic area your child is... it goes from -3 station to +3 station. +3 is when the baby is actually crowning (head coming out the vagina) and -3 is when the baby is still "floating" and hasnt started to enter your pelvic area yet.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:35 PM on May. 31, 2009

• It feels like the baby is going to fall out when you walk lol
    Your stomach will drop lower. At first it's higher, like in the center it's round, then it's all round at the very bottom and you feel a lot of pressure pushing down usually.
    Anonymous

• At your next OB appt your doc will do a vaginal check and will be able to give you three bits of info 1) how dilate you are (how open your cervix is) which will be in a form of cm (probably 1cm or 2cm) 2) how effaced you are (how thin your cervix is) which will be in the form of a percentage (probably 25 or 30%) and what station the baby is in (but they dont usually tell you what station the baby is in til it actually has dropped in to the pelvic area
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:37 PM on May. 31, 2009

• The baby's head goes down in to the pelvic area in position to be birthed.
    Anonymous