What does a contraction feel like? HELP, I feel clueless as to what's going on with my body!!

I know I'm not in labor but I'm also not sure if what I've been having are braxton hicks contractions.

A few times a day I get a really tightened sensation in my belly but often I only feel it on one side. It usually last anywhere from 10-30 second with a start, peak and fall.

A couple other times I've felt a really tightened intense pressure in my lower back that last for about 30 seconds.

I've also had some tightening like cramps that last about 20 seconds or so in my lower abdomen.

Are these things braxton hicks or something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Braxton hicks. It will feel like the baby is bunching in to a ball and your stomach fill feel tight and hard.
    Real contractions are consistent and can be painful, but not always painful. They are consistent by for example, if you had a contraction, then another one almost exactly 20 minutes later, then 20 minutes after that, then 20 after that, then they go down to 15 min and consistently come every 15 min, then drop to 10 min consistently...and if they are around 10 minutes apart, you might want to go to the hospital because by the time they reach 5 minutes apart, you'll be in labor in no time. This can go on for 2 days before it's time, so make sure you time them.
    Anonymous

• If they come and go at random times, and they aren't painful then they are braxton hicks. I had them for weeks before I went in to labor.
    Anonymous

• THEY SOUND LIKE CONTRACTIONS TO ME, BUT WHAT YOU MUST MEASURE IS THE TIME BETWEEN ONE AND THE OTHER AND SEE IF THEY ARE CONSISTANT, THAT IS WHEN THEY MEAN YOU ARE IN LABOR. I OFTEN REFER TO A CHARLIE HORSE IN YOUR MUSCLE WHEN I HAVE TRIED EXPLAINING WHAT A LABOR CONTRACTION FEELS LIKE, BUT YOUR EXPLANATION SEEMS ACCURATE ENOUGH. IF YOU ARE NOT IN LABOR YOUR BODY IS PREPARING TO BE, I BET YOU THAT WHEN YOU SEE YOUR DOCTOR YOU PROBABLY DILATE A CENTIMETER OR TWO, THIS IS A GOOD SIGN THAT LABOR WILL BE GOOD, BECAUSE YOU HAVE ALREADY DIALATED SOME. A SCARY AND VERY EXCITING EVENT TO COME, WISHING THE BEST LABOR AND DELIVERY!

Answer by older at 2:48 PM on May. 31, 2009

• The best way I can describe a BH is like a blood pressure cuff around your belly... it gets tighter and then loosens back up! BH's can cause pain but typically they dont. Real contractions are hardly ever pain free.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:32 PM on May. 31, 2009

• No 2 people are the same but contractions feel more like intense pressure and cramping...sometimes lower back pain.
    robinc53_f

Answer by robinc53_f at 2:48 AM on Jun. 1, 2009