How big is your mucus plug? How do I know when I've lost ALL of it?

I know they can regenerate but if you do lose ALL of it does that mean that labor will begin soon or does some of it remain until contractions start or does that depend on how far your dialated?

Sorry so many questions. I'm just confused about how this works. There seems to be so many questions about mucus plugs on here and I never put a whole lot of thought into it so I wanted to ask all the questions I have about it.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it shouldn't be more than a teaspoon size amt. I was 3 cm dilated when my mucous plug came out. I didn't know what it was. I called the dr and he told me I had dilated but he failed to tell me at the appt the day before.. I was pissed he didn't tell me that or I could have been getting ready for the big moment that I thought was 3 weeks away!

Answer by admckenzie at 2:51 PM on May. 31, 2009

• It's not a sure sign, but yes, it generally means that labor will start soon, but it could be as soon as a week+ or as soon as a couple of days. The main thing you need to look for is how effaced you are, how dilated you are, and if the baby has dropped. If you are 100% effaced, that means your cervix is 100% thinned and you should be in labor. If you're close to 100% then it means you're close to being in labor. Dialation means how much your cervix has opened. Usually you're in labor if you're 4 cm, but it varies. Then the baby's head drops, that's a sign of labor to come soon. I was 92% effaced, 2cm dialated, with the baby dropped the day before I went in to labor.

Anonymous

• Sometimes the mucous plug won't come out at all until you are in labor, or after you have the baby. Mine never did so I think it came out sometime during labor.
    Anonymous

• mine fell in the toilet but it was like between the size of a nickel and a quarter, if that helps
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 2:59 PM on May. 31, 2009

• you dont fully lose your entire plug until your bag of waters breaks... it keeps regenerating itself. Being told that it means labor is new is NOT TRUE! I use to believe that labor was within 2 weeks of losing your plug so I freaked out when I started losing mine at 31 weeks pregnant! At that point I was 2 cm dilated and I still made it to my induction at 38 weeks. The only thing that losing your plug really means is to not take baths (because infection can cause from the dirty water getting in) and dont douche (but you shouldnt do that pregnant anyways)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:24 PM on May. 31, 2009