Im haven't been very religious over the years...

but I am really wanting to go back to church.I want to go for a few reasons but I feel like they could be the wrong ones.One is I am a young mother and I feel like all the people I know my age just like to party and most of them have children as well so Im hoping If I go to church I can find friends that like to have fun sober.Is this a wrong reason to go back to church there are more like I want to have a relationship with God but Im still just not so sure there is one but I do pray..should I go and what would be the right church for me???

hedtrippe

Asked by hedtrippe at 2:45 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i think the fact that you want to find people who are sober is a good thing, it says you've matured being a mom and that you are responsible. As far as your relationship with God, that will happen eventually for you I'm sure as you communicate with others and they share their beliefs with you. If you are not comfortable there are many churches to choose from of many denominations.

I don't think there is never a wrong reason for someone to find a religion that is comfortable and right for them.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:55 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I am not religious but was raised in Episcopal church(Protestant). My mom called it her social time and they are open to married ministers and have gay bishop. They are very accepting if that is what you want.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:57 PM on May. 31, 2009

• My next big thing is how to find a church that is right..there are a lot of churches here but they all seem to be a place I would want to run out of
    hedtrippe

Answer by hedtrippe at 2:58 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I have heard that Universal universalist is very open to all.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:01 PM on May. 31, 2009

• if you still are not sure in what you believe, i would consider looking into one of the churches meet-up groups. a lot of churches have tons of groups for you to meet people and socialize. or even a bible study if you want to learn more before you start going. that might be the better route for you. or even right here on cafemom, you could start your own group for your area to meet mothers who like the same things you do or to talk about whatever religion you decide. i do not have many friends as well and i found some great ones on cafemom through the group system. but it sounds to me that you are lonely. it happens to the best of us, mama. good luck!
    allybot

Answer by allybot at 3:53 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Every Sunday, go to a different church. Keep going until you find the right one for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:18 PM on May. 31, 2009

• whatever your reason for getting back to church is okay that is where god wants you. i got back in church when i was pregnant with my son and accepted jesus christ as my lord and savior and was baptised when i was five months pregnant. i was the best decision you will ever make for your life. the best way to choose a church is find one that preaches out of the holy bible. the bible is gods inspired word and it tells you the only way to heaven. i am a baptist demonination but first i am a christian and i make no excuses for that.
    Anonymous

• Check out Unitarian Universalism. It is a very open minded church.
    LeilaR1

Answer by LeilaR1 at 6:55 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Go find your local kingdom hall. They are amazing people.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 11:10 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I think you should go ahead and go & being there will help you get closer to God, and you will meet other mom's who can have a good time without all the partying. not to mention it will set a good example for your little one when they get older plus if you spend more time with family oriented moms you will most likely be around your baby more where going out to party means leaving him with sumone else, I know I'm going in & out of the party scene constantly & I always feel bad for not being with my son and husband more
    Funsizefairy

Answer by Funsizefairy at 4:25 AM on Jun. 2, 2009