Colic? Lactose? Acid Reflux?

My son is 11 days old. I originally started him on breast milk and I was unable to make enough to get him full.. so we switched to enfamil lipil. He was doing ok on that for a couple of days and then he became extremely gassy.. we tried mylicon.. with no luck and switched his formula to the gentlease enfamil.. no luck there either.. he's been screaming at night for a couple hours.. arching his back.. and vomiting only once in a while.. I really don't know what to do next.. today we decided since I'm lactose intolerant... that maybe I passed the horrible trait to him.. and we should try soy.. he sucked down 2 ounces burped really good and went to sleep.. I hope this works.. but if it doesn't.. could this be an acid reflux issue? I'm not sure where to turn to next. Thanks!

tj20

Asked by tj20 at 2:47 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• More likely a bad reaction to the formula. Acid reflux is over-diagnosed in infants because docs don't want to take the time to get to the REAL problem.

Be aware that most moms think they don't make enough...babies are NOT supposed to seem satisfied! That's how they get your milk flowing....they get pissy and your body responds. We bond with newborns so we don't EAT them out of frustration!

The ONLY indication that baby is getting enough if the number of dipes you change...6-8 a day at this point.

If you want to try breastfeeding again, you certainly can. If he does have dairy issues it will require you taking dairy out of your diet. Feel free to drop by the breastfeeding moms group here on cafemom for more help.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:07 PM on May. 31, 2009

• You need to call your doctor, that's what I did when my DD was going through the same thing. She was vomiting several times a day, like not just spit up, but pouring out. At about 7 weeks I couldn't take it anymore and called me doctor. I should have probably done it earlier. My doctor said to put in 1 teaspoon of rice cereal for every ounce of milk to thicken it up (if you are pumping). Since then, she rarely vomits. I tend to put a little bit less in because I don't want the cereal to make the milk too thick, so I'm just overly cautious. There is formula that has rice starch in it. I think it's called Nutrigemen or something like that. It's by Enfamil or Similac. Before you switch to this or add rice cereal, just give your doctor a call to make sure your little one is old enough to be eating this.
    JasminesMom314

Answer by JasminesMom314 at 4:02 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I would try very hard to restart breastfeeding: nurse frequently (at least every hour), drink lots of water, take brewers yeast tabs and fenugreek caps, have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby. It is possible that you really did have enought milk...

Answer by rkoloms at 4:17 PM on May. 31, 2009