Should I be freaking out about my 15 month old falling on the tile floors at our new house?

We just got a new house and it's all tile floors and at first I felt okay about my 15 month old walking on the tile but now I'm freaking out. She's been walking since 11 months but I'm worried she'll really hurt herself. Anyone else have floors like this when your kid's were growing up?

mrsmendoza2006

Asked by mrsmendoza2006 at 2:54 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• at our old house my son was just starting to walk and it was all wooden floors. our new house is mostly carpeted, so no I have no personal experience, but is she walking pretty good now? my son's been walking since about 10 m/o (he's 13 m/o now) and hasnt had a fall in quite some time now that he has the hang of it. do you have room for an area rug? if theres a room she specifically hangs out in you can set up a rug there, or just watch her really good!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:02 PM on May. 31, 2009

• my moms house is tile and thats where my son learned how to walk.. he fell but they get over it quick they never really hurt themselves bad just take the same precautions you would take with her playing outside.. you know?
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 3:08 PM on May. 31, 2009

• No, children are built for falling. They are low to the ground, padded bottoms, and hard-headed. We have tile in our kitchen and I was worried also, but no big boo boos around here.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:12 PM on May. 31, 2009

• My house is etirely hard wood and lenolium. My daughter is now 17 months and has been walking since 10 months. She has never had any fall that hurt her seriously. She has had a couple of "trips" and "slips" but nothing a 30 second whine didnt solve! :) LOL The hardest thing was teaching her to get off the furniture in a way that will not hurt her. Most kids with soft carpet end up just rolling off furniture but they cant on hard floors. If children got hurt all the time from not having carpet, then hard wood floors, tile, and lenolium would not be very popular! LOL Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 3:24 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Put slippers on her feet, my DD is picky about them she only likes ones with duck heads so maybe take him to the store and let him pick out the ones he likes best.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 3:46 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Let her run barefoot, in socks with grippy bottoms (see Target), or in soft soled house shoes (also Target).
    Yes, she may fall. Kids are made for that. They have very hard heads, soft bottoms, and don't have very fall to fall anyway. She doesn't need a helmet, elbow pads, or knee pads. Her body is designed to do just what she is doing - toddling.

And most of my house is tile.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:44 PM on May. 31, 2009