Texting?

Do you think it's proper for someone to send a text invite with nine days notice to a birthday party?

Whatever happened to people picking up a phone to make a call or sending an invitation through mail?

Do we have any etiquette anymore?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• A previous poster mentioned sending a text 3 wks in advance and then following up with family via an actual phone call. That is saving money and paper and it is also practicing etiquette. Also, one does not always have time to thank people individually and Thank You cards, or e-mails for the environmentally concerned, are a good way to personalize a thank you. It is not being self absorbed to expect etiquette, it is self absorbed to think solely about your financial situation and not that of your attendees.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 4:06 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I wouldn't mind it. At least you got invited. Do we really have to have etiquette when it comes to being invited to something? I don't understand why people get so upset in the way someone invites them. Shouldn't they just be happy they got invited?
    Anonymous

• Some people dont have that much money and with having to buy all the stuff for the party they may not have much for the little stuff like invitations. And if they know you well enough to KNOW you'll get it through a text, its way faster and saves money.
    collegemom1007

Answer by collegemom1007 at 3:26 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Nine days notice and over a text? I guess you are one of those that don't have etiquette. Yes I am thrilled when we get invited to functions but proper notice would be great and respectful. You have to consider what plans these people you are inviting may have or their funds. Not everyone can drop their life or plans and money within nine days.

Anonymous

• 9 days is on hell of a advanced notice. and getting it through text saves time and money. No I don't see the problem and think that perhaps you hold the unimportant things to heart way to much.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 3:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I think 9 days is plenty notice. You also have to consider that not everyone is stuck on themselves. They are probably just worried about having a good time.
    Anonymous

• i see nothing wrong with it. me and my friends do it that way all the time, its easier being we all have small children and dont have time to call or send out invites
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 3:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• well if thats the case then dont go. Im sure they realize not everyone will come so obviously they have enough OTHER people coming that a few stragglers who have plans wont really mess up the party
    collegemom1007

Answer by collegemom1007 at 3:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• WOW!!! Seriously? A poster mentioned the person doing the inviting not having enough money for invites...have you not considered the flip side of your proverbial coin that a possible attendee may not have the funds to purchase a gift, especially if that person is living paycheck to paycheck? Also, 9 days is not even enough notice to request a day off from work...standard time frame for requests is 3 wks in advance. Another point is that texts are not always received if one person is under one carrier and the other another. Is it that hard to pick up the phone and actually speak to a person directly? Have we become so electronically confined that we do not follow the simple rules of ettiquette that our mothers took the time to teach? Invites cost 1.88 at Walmart, btw and if we are indeed tied to our electronic devices you can send an E-MAIL FOR FREE!!! I take it Thank You cards are now out of the question as well, huh?
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 3:38 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Yes they absolutely are. I never sent thank you cards for my baby showers, my wedding, or my childs first birthday, i just told them thank you as they left. What more do u self absorbed people NEED? jeez.....You ever think that texting someone saves PAPER saves MONEY especially since ur already paying for the phone bill every month why spend more uneccesary money? Some of us dont have it ya know. Its not about "ETTIQUETTE" its about convinience.
    collegemom1007

Answer by collegemom1007 at 3:46 PM on May. 31, 2009