How do you help teach you kid not to hit?

My kid is 1 and 3 months and hits, anyone have any tips to help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• smack him LOL just kidding
    Anonymous

• My son is almost too and he hits too sometimes. He gets one warning then a time out. Once he gets the time out he usually doesn't hit again for at least a day, most of the time a few days. We started using time outs when he was about a year old.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 3:41 PM on May. 31, 2009

• My DD started to do that but each time she hit me I would simply hold her hands so she couldnt move them where she wanted to until she fussed (only 1 to 2 mins) and then explained that hitting hurts mommy and that if she does it again I will take her hands again. She would do it sometimes a couple times in a row but never more then 3 times and she only did it a few times in general. She is 17 mo. and its not an issue but once in a great while.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 3:45 PM on May. 31, 2009

• i have a 13 month old and a 10 month old little sister my son hits now i simply hold his hands and tells him pow pow he puts his finger up and shakes it no no if he hits again i pop him 1 soft pop with my finger that helps for about 3 days
    youngmom147

Answer by youngmom147 at 5:44 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I believe in telling kid what they CAN do not what they CANNOT do. My mother has a theory that when you say no hitting all they hear is hitting. When my kids would do this I would hold their hands and say "hands are for hugging" and ask her if she wanted to say she was sorry and give me a hug. I would not let go of her hands until she answered that question yes and then did it when I let her go. I do this for biting, kicking, anything like that and it has worked great for my 2 and 4 year old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:34 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I'm glad I'm not alone. My daughter is 15 months old. When she was 13 months, she thought it was funny to hit me in the face when I was holding her and we were cuddling( this is when it all began).She would look at me with such love and then...BAM! a smack across my face. She does it every time we have a cuddle moment and she is facing me up close while I hold her. she does it to my husband and her grandma too. Her doc said to take her hand firmly and say, "no!". Yea, right. Every time I do that, she laughs hesterically. He said, at that point, you need to put her on time out...yes, starting at such a young age...in her crib, since she will get up from a chair at that age. Well, I'm doing it but it is still too early to tell you if it works or not...good luck.
    averys1mama

Answer by averys1mama at 1:55 AM on Jun. 1, 2009