Help my 11 month old is trying to climb out of her crib!!?? Is she to little for a big girl bed?

my 11 month old is trying to pull her leg up over her crib...she hasnt done it yet but i know its only a matter of time....she is also trying to go over the baby gates how do i stop this ? I saw a net thing I can put over her crib but are thoes safe?........Thanks so much for your imput (when did you take your baby out of the crib and move them into a big kid bed?)

emilysmama05

Asked by emilysmama05 at 3:43 PM on May. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• My DD did this too and I was so worried that she would fall and break something and no one would believe I did not beat her. I called the doc and they said put the crib at the lowest setting, put pillows around the crib on the floor. If she masters this to the point she does get out on a regular basis get her a toddler bed and make sure your house is gated and locked at night to prevent falls down stairs or her getting out of the house, good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Is the mattress in its lowest setting? Because my daughter is 1 year old and very tall (32inches) and she can't get her leg anywhere near the top of the crib railing.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:46 PM on May. 31, 2009

• My DD got a big girl bed when she was about a year and a half old. (She's very tall for her age though, always has been) because she was climbing out of her crib.
    Her are my thoughts: Big girl beds make a whole new set of challenges. If she normally sleeps with her door open, consider that she will now be able to wander out of her room, and get into things, being that since you're sleeping, she's unsupervised. (My DD had always slept with her door closed, so it wasn't an issue for us.)
    If that is not the case & she sleeps with her door closed already, realize that it may take a while before she'll actually stay in the bed to sleep at night. She's now got the freedom to at least explore her room.
    If you decide to go for it - to help make it a little easier, just transfer the mattress and bedding from her crib, so that's its familiar to her. Once she's used to it, then you can go with her & pick out a cute new set :-)
    CariadSpawn

Answer by CariadSpawn at 3:53 PM on May. 31, 2009

• We put my son on a crib mattress on the floor at 13 months. We needed his crib for his baby brother and had a an extra crib mattress. We had to put a baby gate at his door at night to keep him in his room but other than that he did fine. You can always put two baby gates in the doorway on top of each other if she is climbing them.
    Anonymous

• Time to get her out of the crib before she falls. It's a safety hazard now.

We put our sons in twin beds at 15 months. A crib isn't a requirement, by the way. Some kids never sleep in a crib at all.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:34 PM on May. 31, 2009

• DD got a big girl bed at 11 months.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:43 PM on May. 31, 2009

• A friend of mine loved her crib net and said it worked great for her. Lucky for me my kids never tried to get out of their cribs.
    Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 4:50 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Mine was doing that at 10 months. There was no way my baby was ready for the freedom of a big girl bed. Even with a plain mattress right on the floor so there was no rolling off issue - a bed means free run of the room and my daughter was (still is) a climber. I knew she'd be climbing the dresser, jumping in the rocking chair, scaling the bookshelves. I put in a crib tent so I could move her when I knew she was ready for the freedom. She loved it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:05 PM on May. 31, 2009