im 18 and my bf and baby's father wants to join the army. what are the chances of deployment?

i really don't want my bf to join the army, but he tells me they would provide us with free housing. is that true? and i know we would get good money, but i don't think its worth the risk of him getting killed. i want him to just finish college as quickly as possible so he can have a good career!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Money & Work

• You can live on base for free, if you are married. He would most likely get deployed for a year. In the Marines you have to serve a year overseas, but I'm not 100% sure about the army.
    Anonymous

• Your bf wants to be a man, not a little boy who knocked up his girlfriend. In order to be a good woman and potential spouse to your MAN, you need to respect his choice and support him. This is his best chance, in his view to step up and provide a decent life for you and his child. You should be proud of him for not running out on you. You caught yourself a good one.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:55 PM on May. 31, 2009

• The chances of deployment, with two wars going on? Pretty darned close to 100%. The good news is that the death toll is considerably lower these days. The US military has learned from its mistakes in Iraq, where breaking a cultural taboo can get you killed, and is training its soldiers to be more culturally aware in the Middle East. That helps win over the people we're supposed to be helping and makes them less likely to become insurgents.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:33 PM on May. 31, 2009

• He'll get deployed. I'd be surprised if he didn't.
    The chances of him dying aren't horrible. He might be injured or killed but chances are he'll probably come home after a year or two. You have to get married to be able to live for free on the base and to be insured under his health insurance. I would suggest getting married before this step is made. It only makes sense if you truly love each other.
    Anonymous

• he should deploy there are few people that dont and I tell you what the people that dont deploy and are high ranking are a joke and yes they provied and housing isnt free you can a live on post and they take your bah automaticly or b live off post and you will get money for rent.dh and i live off post and we have more money then are friends that live on post its a good career and deploment sucks but let him join dont stand in his way
    hedtrippe

Answer by hedtrippe at 6:26 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Pretty high, we are having our second child, the economy sucks, there isno more money for veterans. In order for my husband to be provider he has choicen to re-enlist. I dont like it, but we need food, cover the bills etc...
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:46 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Marines do not have to serve a year over seas. They can if they want, but its not required. If your boyfriend joins the Army there is no question. He will deploy. America is at war and that is what the military is there for. As some one else mentioned it would be much easier if you guys were married before he joined....saves on tons of paperwork.
    Anonymous

• Anon 11:42, my brother is in the Marines and he is required to serve a year overseas.
    Anonymous

• Yes, on base housing is free. He will most likely be deployed. A year deployment would be the minimum of what you should expect. Many people that I know have been deployed to Iraq for 3 years.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2009