What are your thoughts on Cheerleading?

My daughter is interested in trying out for middle school cheerleading next year and wants me to enroll her in gymnastics to prepare for tryouts. I'm torn, I have some issues with cheerleading and how it is perceived. Basically, I don't want her to be labeled as a snobby, stuck up, possibly slutty girl. Not saying that this is true about cheerleaders, but I'm worried about the image. Do most people have this stereotype of cheerleading, or am I off base? Do you think this is a good activity for girls to be involved in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Would you not allow her to join sports because she may be labeled as a "jock" or a lesbian? How rediculous does that sound? Well, that is what you are doing now.

Your kid wants to be involved in extra curricular activities. This may lead to sports. Regardless, I think its great and you should let her. I think the stereotype you are thinking of is more highschool lever, not middle school.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:51 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I think that the stereotype of cheerleaders is being shifted toward them being serious athletes. Either way, people will perceive her based on how she dresses and behaves out of her uniform AND in it. If she is a polite sweet child and dresses modestly when not in uniform, people will not think she is a snob or a slut.

If you are really thinking of letting her try out, get her in gymnastics and get her in a gym. In order to avoid serious injury she needs to be in really good shape.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:53 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I do. I had two friends from elementary all the way to middle school who tried out for cheerleading. They both made it and everything was ok for about a quarter of the school year. Then came time for one of their birthday parties, and i didnt even know she was having a party, her mom called mine asking why i couldn't come after they had the party and my mom asked me, and i said i didnt even get an innvite. She asked her daughter and all she had to say was sorry but that all her cheerleader friends didnt like me. Your daughter will get sucked into that stuck up lifestyle and its not a stereotypeing its brainwashing. Gymnastics alone is way good fun and great for staying in shape so go for it on that
    collegemom1007

Answer by collegemom1007 at 3:58 PM on May. 31, 2009

• IF she wants to do it, let her. I honestly don't know how most places see cheerleaders. In my HS they were all fat. They had to wear skirts down to their knees because they were just nasty otherwise... It was BAD! But they were the "Smart" girls with the good grades and teachers pets, so they got the spots. Not only that, around here it's way cooler to be goth than prep...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:02 PM on May. 31, 2009

• let her do it forget what goths and geeks will think
    i was in cheer since i was 4 it isthe most amazing experiance for someone and if she starts early enough it could mean college scholarships sp?
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:14 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I have 3 daughters and they are all cheerleaders. One is 17, one is 14, and the other is 12. I think it teaches them dicipline and skills and they also get moving and they will be strong. Let her try it and see what direction she is going in. If you dont like it, you can pull her out
    xxDianaxx

Answer by xxDianaxx at 7:21 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I think it would be better to let her try out in middle school than wait until high school and see if it something that will work for your family. There are pros & cons like with most everything else. If you let her try out make sure to talk to her about her attitude and what you expect from her before hand. If it turns out you're not comfortable you will know before she goes to hs that its not going to work - plus it is much more time consuming and expensive in hs. Better to know now then later.
    rmommyt

Answer by rmommyt at 7:46 PM on May. 31, 2009

• "let her do it forget what goths and geeks will think "

What the hell does it have to do with goths or geeks?

I did some cheerleading in middle AND high school, and I was considered both a 'goth' and a 'geek'. I wasn't slutty, I was a virgin, I didn't really even date, and I was polite. I was friends with the 'snobby' cheerleaders and the non-snobby cheerleaders, the 'preppy' cheerleaders and the non-'preppy' ones.

OP:

Go for it! It's a wonderful form of exercise, and actually a very difficult, competitive and serious sport. It shouldn't matter what others think, especially if they are basing their opinion of her solely on stereotypes. What matters is how she behaves and carries herself, both in uniform and out of it.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 8:47 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I did cheer for 6 years. The stereotype is a bunch of bull. People get that image by acting like a slut and alot of the time they start because of what people have seen on tv. It has nothing to do with the person them self half the time. As for what one poster said about your DD will get sucked into it. No she wont. I had few friends on my cheer squad. I didnt like the attitude some of them had and i never left out my other friends. Its a good thing to be apart of. She learns teamwork its awesome exercise its hard work but its alot of fun. If your having a hard time with her cheering for school then talk to her about doing it outside of school. This way she wont be doing all the football games and stuff like that but it will be all competition. Its alot of fun and it can be more of a challenge. If you do things with the school they have limitations on what they can do. Outside of school dosnt have those limitations.

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I would hope people would get to know the content of her character before they slap a lable on her. If wanting to cheer is the worst thing she ever asks for you are lucky mamma. Just be supportive. Raise her to be a good girl and it won't matter what others think.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2009