Is there a difference between dating one person vs. being in a relationship with one person?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• I wouldn't say a relationship means you aren't free to see others. It depends on the people and the relationship. But dating definitely implies a lack of commitment. With a relationship, there IS commitment, even if you are allowed to see others casually, or bring others home. You are committed to each other, regardless of any 'additions' there may be. You are each other's primary partner, you care for each other, you trust each other, and there is a serious commitment. When you are dating, it doesn't matter who you see or what you do. You are free to do what you want, regardless of the wishes of the person you are dating. In a relationship, it's unlikely that certain things would be done without the consent of your partner.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 4:43 PM on May. 31, 2009

• When you are dating you are free to see other people. It's the stage right before a relationship to tell whether you might make a good couple or not. Going out to dinner or a movie, and it goes no where beyond that.
    Anonymous

• To me dating means you can date other people as well but a relationship is with one person. But if you are dating more than one person you need to be clear about it.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 3:52 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Dating to me means no commitment. Free to date others..Being in a relationship means to me your commited to that person. Not free to date others.

Answer by louise2 at 4:01 PM on May. 31, 2009

• yes! to me there is a huge difference, although now a days people seem to think differently. to me dating someone is like going on a casual date with someone. boom-your dating. especially if it leads to more dates. once you meet their family and he asks you to go steady and stuff, thats a relationship.
    Anonymous