Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Permanent Sterilzation

I asked my doctor about getting any of the surgeries available for this and she said she would not authorize it because I'm too young. But I have a son that was pure accident, I never wanted kids. I also told her that if I so happened to get pregnant again, I would be forced to abort it because I'm not willing to go through that pain ever again. I asked for that option because I am allergic to latex and BC pills make me sick, and I'm living with the bare minimum of my needs met because I have no money and couldn't ever afford another mouth to feed. As it is, I'm still considering giving up my son. The task of being a mother is just too hard for me and I want to make sure I don't become one to another unfortunate child in the future. What do I do now?


Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • Get another doctor to refer you to someone and I applaud you for knowing what you want and trying to be responsible about it.

    Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:45 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • you should find another dr. get a second opinion. explain your situation and beliefs.

    Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:58 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • Abortions aren't very cheap. Personally, with all the help that I got from family and friends, I probably would have spent more aborting my child than I have so far with keeping him (he's almost six months). There are programs that you can get into to help you, you can breastfeed all the way to a year or more and many other things.

    Is a baby so bad? Something that you made? A little you? If it really is that bad, then it is most definitely your choice, but I couldn't imagine what I'd do without my son. He brings me more happiness with just one gummy smile than I would have ever had before no matter what I did.

    Answer by ours at 4:01 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • I would find another doctor... How old are you??? I know in AZ you can have you tubes tied at 21. As for your son i wouldn't blame you if you do decied to give him up to a family that can't have children. Alot of women i know are selfish(not saying you are) and put themself before their child. You may not want to be a mom but you still understand that being a mom your child comes first. Good luck and i would look into the state laws for gettin your tubes tied. I know most states won't do a hysteractomy with out medical reason but you should beable to have your tubes tied..

    Answer by EJsHottMama at 4:04 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • 1.They have condoms for people allergic to latex such as lambskin. 2. Is the father with you? If not, you shouldn't worry, practice abstinence. Better yet, practice it anyway. It doesn't sound like he is though, no offense, just the way you talk sounds like it. 3.If you're too stubborn to practice abstinence, go to and track your fertility so you can avoid having sex on fertile days at the least. I'm curious why you have the net if you can't afford hardly anything.
    Keep in mind abstinence is free. Sex isn't worth it if you don't want to parent. Buy a dildo and if you have a SO, buy him a jelly vagina. It's a lot cheaper than a baby in the end. I'm sure you could manage.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • Does the guy have to be 21 as well to get snipped? My husband will be 21 in Feb and we'll have two babies running/crawling around by then. We know that's all we want because our first son has port wine stains that will be very expensive to get removed. I wouldn't want to keep having babies and not be able to take care of the ones that I have.

    Answer by ours at 4:07 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • You sound like you are very sure about not wanting to have another child. I would shop around until you find a doctor that would be willing to do the procedure. I wish you all the best:)

    Answer by hotchicks007 at 4:09 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • You have to be 18 or older and pay for it with your own cash (no medical aid).
    That's the only way I've heard you can get it any younger than 21 and it might not apply in some states, plus you have to find a doctor willing to do it. A lot of them are strict about it.
    It can cost up to 2,500 for the procedure.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • It's very cheap at planned parenthood here in AZ and I was hoping since a girl can get her tubes tied at 21 that a guy could get snipped at 21 when he's married with two children.

    Answer by ours at 4:11 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • Ok 2 things
    First: Ours yes both men and women can get it done at 21 you have 2 children so it should be a problem. I'm 23 due in Sept with our second and gettin my tubes tied the same day i have our son(doin a c/s).
    Second: Anonymous @ 3:09pm Arizona Access(medicaid) covers it when the guy or girl turns 21. Some states may be different but i know Arizona will cover it and i'm sure if the person that posted this finds a good doctor that is willing to listen to her they will find away to do it for her. Better to not have children then a bunch of kids running around that the parents can't take care of.(no offence anonymous that posted this)

    Answer by EJsHottMama at 4:25 PM on May. 31, 2009