Is drinking sun tea (tea brewed in the sun) dangerous during pregnancy?

I just got on google to see the correct way to brew sun tea, and I came up with a snopes article that says it can harbor bacteria because the water is not boiled? Anyone drink sun tea during pregnancy? It says it can make you ill.

iluvpink0701

Asked by iluvpink0701 at 4:04 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I think that it is the caffine that the docs don't want you to get a lot of. I have heard abou the bacteria if it is left out too long. i am not sure that it has to do with the water being boiled.

I drank a lot of caffenine before baby so i had to wean from it. the first thing i wanted after my first was born was a diet coke.

If you like tea, lipton makes a decaf. cold brew that you put in cold water and let sit for a few minutes. it is really good.
    corid

Answer by corid at 4:10 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I drank it with my 1st child which was back in 2001. I also drank caffeine with all of my pregnancies. I did cut back but I refused to do decaf.

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 4:16 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I've heard this too, and this is what I found online:

Sun tea can harbor bacteria, especially alcaligenes viscolactis. When water is allowed to sit out for several hours, this bacterium can grow, and the heat provided by the sun, which may get the water up to a temperature of 130 F (54.44 C), will not kill the bacteria. Caffeine can help keep the bacteria at bay for a few hours at most. Decaffeinated and herbal teas are actually great for growing the bacteria, which can result in abdominal illness and infection.

There are a few ways to make sun tea that won’t make you ill. The first is to boil the water needed for the tea for at least three to five minutes. This will kill alcaligenes viscolactis. Some tea companies also feature no heat sun tea, which actually isn’t made in the sun, but is made in the refrigerator. Since the water never reaches room temperature, the bacterium doesn’t have a chance to grow.

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:32 PM on May. 31, 2009

• The key is not allowing sun tea to sit out and come to room temperature, and if you do use mint or other herbs, these should be washed thoroughly. In fact you may want to boil any herbs or seasoning for 3-5 minutes to avoid any harmful bacteria.
    AprilDJC

• I've read, too, that it isn't safe to drink sun tea. I always brew mine now. I only drink decaf, though, which means to get a glass of ice tea that has much flavor I have to use a good number of tea bags.

Answer by Bmat at 4:59 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I have never heard this. I drank suntea throughout my pregnancy and had no problems. You don't leave it outside in the sun, you leave it on the kitchen counter for a couple of hours. I think it is more the caffiene that is the issue for pregnant women.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I think if you drank it before you were pregnant then it would be safe to continue. Your body can build up immunities to these things when we are exposed to small amounts.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:36 PM on May. 31, 2009