When you started your home based business,did you try to sell your friends and family on it?

The company I'm with tells us to contact our friends and family and tell them about our products or show them a presentation.I don't feel right doing this,because I feel like I am asking them for money.Do you feel right doing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Money & Work

• I tried a home based business for a while and stopped because I do not like hitting people up for money, and essentially, yes, that is what you are doing. I did let people sample the products first to see if they liked it, then gave them to "presentation". Ugh, I am just not cut out for that kind of "work". It is too stressful and not any guaranteed income.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:08 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I don't sell anything but Trust me its not hitting them up. Most of them are glad to help and love the products you sell. If they don't they will tell you and so what. I have a cousin who sells Tupperware and I love buying from her. I don't think of it as her begging for money at all! I'm glad she sells it to me. I also have a friend who sells Avon and I love buying it. I get mad when she doesn't offer me a brochure every time because I want to buy the products. I've got another friend who sells candles and I don't enjoy them and told her so so she stopped asking with no hurt feelings. Don't assume they don't want what you have to offer! Your friends and family might be your good customers and their friends and family might too!
    Anonymous

• I did not. I did however let them know what I was doing and let them know if they wanted to look in to our services just ask. That was really as far as I went. Most companies will tell you to contact them in the begining... See if they will let you practice on them without the expectations to buy anything. IF you get a sale, great if not, you got some practice.

Honestly I don't do any sales. I have 3 home businesses and only have one that I'm supposed to sell for... But I don't really do them. I keep the business for my discounts and to get discounts for my family and friends. Other wise the only thing I do is recruit and train. That's what I enjoy.

With the other two, I just let people know what we have. IF they are interested, I sign them up... IF not no big... bless and reliece. What business are you with?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:52 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I could never do home based business stuff for that very reason. And I hate it when my friends do it--I have been hit for up stuff countless times. I'm very non-materialistic and we have a very small house so we can't fill it up with much stuff anyways. And on one income we have to live very modestly anyways.
    Mish99

Answer by Mish99 at 6:11 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I had a BF that decided to sell books from home. Every time I turned around she was pitching me a sales pitch. These were expensive books. I told her that I really couldn't afford them. Her business cost us our friendship. ( she did other things too) What really pushed us apart was when she gave her business people my name and phone number and told them I wanted to become part of the team and sell their books. She had to do this because she wanted out of the book business. BF'S are rare. She threw away ours over greed. So, when someone asks me if I want to buy something...I don't have a problem with the word...NO...
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 8:45 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I have my own home-based business, Thirty-One Gifts. My friends/family know what I do, love the products and buy what they want. I let them know the monthly specials. They come to me for gift giving too and in turn they help get my name out there and I make commissions off of it. I don't pressure them. I I have a couple friends that are also in direct sales - we've swapped parties before, just to help each other.
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 9:09 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Hi,

Is understandable how you feel. Many of us feel like that when we start a business at home which requires sales but you shouldn't feel like you are asking for money cause you are selling. After a while if your product is something that we use a lot is good because your friends or family will consume it and ask you for more. One of my home business is into perfumes, lotions and make up at first I did mention and offered to friends and family .... now they ask me for them.... :) Try your best and you will have a lot of success....
    licet

Answer by licet at 11:23 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Hi, I didn't, but most of them asked me what I am doing and some of them wanted to sign up and give me referrals. Do what makes you comfortable.

SonjaSC

Answer by SonjaSC at 12:52 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• It is easier to start with your friends and family. It is good practice and they will introduce you to other friends. You do not get rich off of your friends and family, lets be clear, but it is a good source of resources to meet other people.  If you believe in your product and it is a good product, then you should want to share it with everyone.

AmyMK

Answer by AmyMK at 5:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Yes! You should talk to everyone you know.

www.24hourtour.net/jeannep
    jmpal9

Answer by jmpal9 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2009