Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I just being prideful and silly?

We sold our house last week, close on June 30th and have until July 4h to get out. As of now, we have no place to move to. A family in our church has offered to let us live in the lower level of their home that is pretty much never used. I am very grateful for their offer, but I feel like I would be imposing horribly. After all, a 1 yo and 3yo aren't exactly quiet. =) I was thinking about going home to stay with my family while my Hubby lived with the family and come stay on the weekends, but the family thinks I'm crazy. What do you think I should do?

Answer Question

Asked by MamaJAG at 4:09 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • Take them up on their offer. I'm sure they KNOW that your kids aren't going to be quiet little mice >.o I know what you mean though, I would feel like I'm imposing, but if you're comfortable with the family go for it, but if you'd feel more comfortable at your fam's house then do that.

    Answer by Apr1l at 4:12 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • Is there a reason why your husband can't stay with you at your family's house or you at his? I don't blame you for not wanting to stay in someone else's house.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:13 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • Do what your gut says. I personally would go home with family if i could. but it also depends on how far away my hubby was. and is hubby ok with it???

    i wouldn't want to stress about the mess my kids were making, how loud we were being, etc. but that's just me. good luck and congrats on selling your home!

    Answer by corid at 4:13 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • Move in with your hubby, or have him move with you. It's not right to separate like that. Is this lower level IN their house? Or is it like a separate part attached to their house like a mini appartment? If they offered, then they must not mind it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • If you can not find a plase to live..Take there offer..They know you have two little ones.

    Answer by louise2 at 4:18 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • Why vwould you sell a house and not have another place to live?

    Answer by sarapurser at 4:18 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • My family is 1.5 hours away. Hubby can't leave due to his job. We sold so that we could buy a house with more property for the kids to play and couldn't afford 2 mortgages. We are currently looking very hard and have an offer in, but still need a plan B.

    Answer by MamaJAG at 4:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • You need to decide which place the WHOLE family can live in, and know that you could be there several months. You shouldn't have to separate the kids from their dad during this. If you need to stay local due to work, and you both are ok with staying with the church family, I would stay there. You might like living in a communal situation for a short time.

    Answer by 2boysmom703 at 4:34 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • I agree... don't seperate the family.
    If nothing else, he should drive the distance every day to stay with you and the kids and that'll make you both look harder for a place maybe? I hope that didn't sound rude. You should've been out looking long before you sold yours so you'd have something definetely in mind for closing on the house (after closing you usually have like 30 days to move normally). You've still got time to find something... hurry.

    Answer by lisa_ann_p at 5:48 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • Hubby driving an 1.5 hours to work each way is NOT an option. We would be apart 4 days a week and together 3 if that ended up panning out. As far as looking prior to selling, we were but we couldn't make a move on anything until we sold. The house we are looking at is literally the ONLY thing that interests us that we can afford right now. Plus our house was only on the market 23 days. Some of you are being completely rude. You think I WANT to separate the family??!?!? Geez. We look for a house multiple times a day. Give me a break.

    Answer by MamaJAG at 6:11 PM on May. 31, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.