Question growing out of a poll I recently posted. The Bible & body modification.

How do you interpret this passage from the Bible?
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
Leviticus 19:28

Does this mean followers of the Bible should not modify their bodies? Does that include tattoos, piercings, etc. in your opinion?

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 4:14 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is from the OLD testament and we no longer fall under thoses laws. We are bound only by the new testament.
    Anonymous

• I have heard that argument (thus the next question I asked). I decided to do a bit of a search online to see if anyone discussed that & I came across this:
    How do they get around Leviticus 19:28?
    Clearly, there it is. "Ye shall not. . .print any marks upon you. . ."
    A lot of Christians when confronted with Leviticus 19:28, scream, "Hey dude, that’s not for today. Man, that’s the Old Testament. I’m under the New Testament".
    Did you know that "bestiality" (sicko, perverted, sex with an animal) was ONLY forbidden in the Old Testament Levitical Law? Only in Leviticus 18:23 and Leviticus 20:15-16. Dude, only in the Old Testament Law. Does that mean a Holy God NOW – under the New Testament, approves of bestiality?
    By the way, have you ever read Leviticus 19:29? The verse immediately AFTER the "it’s not for me" cont....
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:37 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Do not prostitute thy daughter, to cause her to be a whore; lest the land fall to whoredom, and the land become full of wickedness.
    Leviticus 19:29
    This is the only place in the Bible that God directly forbids someone to prostitute their daughter. And since, it’s ONLY in the Old Testament Levitical Law (and "hey, dude, we’re NOT under the law") – it MUST be ok by the Lord for a parent to cause their daughter to prostitute.
    Same sick, perverted, wicked, line of reasoning as the "it’s ONLY in the Old Testament-tattoo-bearer-wearer". Same reasoning. . . Same disobedience. . . Same perversion of the Word of God.
    There are many other "moral laws’ that are ONLY forbidden in the Old Testament, such as the human sacrifice of children. No where in the New Testament is this forbidden. Does that mean that NOW under the New Testament, God Almighty endorses throwing babies into the fire as a human sacrifice?

And thou shalt n
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:38 PM on May. 31, 2009

• [Sorry this is long but I want to get impressions on it]
    And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD.
    Leviticus 18:21
    Matthew Henry’s Commentary at the beginning of Leviticus 19 explains that most of Leviticus 19 (such as verse 19:28) are moral commandments that applies not only for Israel but for the New Testament Christian today.
    "Some ceremonial precepts there are in this chapter, but most of them are moral. . . Most of these precepts are binding on us, for they are expositions of most of the ten commandments."
    (Matthew Henry’s Commentary on the Whole Bible, Leviticus 19:28)

Do you agree with this argument or find it unreasonable?
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:40 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Tattooing is mentioned in the context of ancient pagan practices. But does this mean that tattooing is in itself a bad thing to do because unbelievers did it? We have to be careful not to make a logical error known as the genetic fallacy. This error says that something is false because of its origin. For example, it would be a fallacy that because the Nazi regime developed the Volkswagen Beetle, that the VW Beetle is a bad car. Likewise, just because unbelievers get tattoos does not mean Christians should not.

Tattooing was used as a part of a pagan ritual, along with the other things mentioned in that passage. But, such religious practices that require tattooing, cutting one's own skin, and/or shaving the head and beard are not around in present-day Western culture. So, the admonition against tattooing, based upon the cultural norm, can't apply for today.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:09 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I have beautiful tattoos and they reflect my love for God. My tattoo guy is a Christian too. I have never felt any conviction from God that I am sinning when I am getting tattoos. In fact my last one was a time for me to get away and pray and God ministered to me so much as I was there.

I say that becasue when I do sin, the Lord convicts me. I personally think He likes my tattoos LOL : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:12 PM on May. 31, 2009

• If it's in the bible I try to follow it. Theres a reason why these things are in the bible. Before people knew you could get this, people were getting sick with hepatitis and aids from the needles that they use. now they use dis. needles that's great and all, but you dont know what you could get from the ink in the future. it's just like in the bible it says to abstain from blood, tranfusions gave countless people aids and other diseases because they didnt know that aids existed so they couldnt test for it. Now they do testing for aids but how do we know that theres not going to be another disease that they cant test for because they dont know that it exists yet either?
    Anonymous

• as: "Garble garble marf marf marf"

...just like everything else in the BuyBull...
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2009