Why do parents think it's "cute" to give their kids unusual and oddly-spelled names?

How would THEY like to be named Fileeshia (Felicia) or Khamryn (Cameron)??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on May. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it's ridiculous and annoying. Poor teachers, have to try to figure out what the heck the kid's name is on the first day of school. And poor kids that have to learn how to spell them. Is it that they're trying to be cute, or they just can't spell worth a darn and won't bother to try to figure out how to spell their kid's name? Just because they want attention, they don't have to saddle their kids with goofy names to get it.
    2boysmom703

Answer by 2boysmom703 at 4:26 PM on May. 31, 2009

• LOL Fileeshia, that's hilarious. I have a cousin named Felicia.

Well, my daughter is named Jossalyn. The traditional spelling is Jocelyn. It's not too terribly far from the original spelling, and it's pronounced the same. We decided to spell it the way it sounds, plus if she ever decides to go by Joss, it'll be a reasonable nickname instead of adding letters that weren't in her full name.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:22 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I think it is beause they try to be different without thinking of the consequences for the child. I mean naming your kid like Apple===COME ON PEOPLE!!
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 4:23 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Depends entirely on the name. Those stupid 'dash' name.. La- A (Ladasha, or whatever), are rediculous. Fileeshia is excessive. I don't think there's anything wrong with Khamryn. We're naming our son Soren. *shrug*
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 4:28 PM on May. 31, 2009

• my parents fell into that catagory. Dang them!
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• LOL! La-a, was it you Jynxx that knew someone that named her daughter that? I swear someone on here was talking about that a long time ago.

My name is Caitlin. It's a BIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH to have to spell out my name every time I say it. It's because of all the vowels, and there are 50 million spellings of it. Eh, I handed the curse down to my baby girl and I don't really care, lmao. It's the least of my worries.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Not me, but her question is what I was referring to! lol.

I dunno, I just think that unusual or alternate spellings for names are fine, WITHIN REASON, lol.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 4:36 PM on May. 31, 2009

• To be different I guess. Hell I name my babies Jeffery and Destiny. Not Ge'aferry or Die'ztneiy...tee hee
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 4:43 PM on May. 31, 2009

• For unusual names, I assume because people get sick of those common names that like 10 people in a classroom share, or those names that make it to the Top 5 most popular lists.

For odd spelling, I think people who aren't brave or ballsy enough to name their child an unusual name, try to go for spelling a common name differently. Not realizing it all sounds the same anyway and just makes it all that much more confusing.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 4:46 PM on May. 31, 2009

• It doesn't bother me-it's their child-The child learns to spell it just like they would Bob-If that is all that you have to complain about watch some news or get a life
    crazy_mum

Answer by crazy_mum at 4:52 PM on May. 31, 2009