Why is the Old Testament part of the Christian Bible if the New Testament negates it?

I would like your opinions on the Old Testament vs. the New Testament. I often see (including on a recent poll) arguments that say a particular passage/rule/etc. is from the Old Testament & no longer applies because of the acts of Jesus. On the other hand, other times I see Christians quoting the Old Testament & basing some of their opinions on scripture from it. Do you feel that Old Testament was mostly negated by the New? Do you believe that there are only select passages that are negated by the New Testament? Or do you believe that the whole Bible & everything it dictates is applicable because it is all the word of God? Or, perhaps, you have some different take on it? I am curious to hear different opinions on the issue.

*Note I am not a Christian & am only asking because I am interested in Theology & modern interpretations - just so you know where I am coming from.

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 4:15 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Basically if it's a law in the old testament that you don't want to follow then the old testament was over ridden by the new testament. If it's something you do want to follow then it applies.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:33 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Oi, I always ask this question and someone always gives me a verse from the Bible.

It's all circular reasoning in the end. "The Bible is true because it says it is."
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:18 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I don't think the New negates the Old.. they are both necessary for us to understand why God sent his son in the New testament. Plus it tells the history of man and the beginning.. all not negated in the New testament.. I could elaborate, but if you are not a believer of it anyway.. then you will make your own assumptions for why the Bible is laid out the way it is.
    scout575

Answer by scout575 at 4:23 PM on May. 31, 2009

• The whole Bible is the Word of God. Jesus came in fulfillment of the prophecies of the Old Testament. The Old Testament points forward to the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is a revelation of the things that are to come in the New Testament. It is impossible to understand one without reading and understanding the other. One has to study the whole counsel of God, so it is impossible to just pick and choose what one wants to believe. One must either believe it all as the Truth of God, or else you have to throw the whole thing out. No one has complete understanding of it all, but that does not mean that we are not to try to understand as much of it as we possible can.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:27 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Jesus himself said He didn't come to do away with the law.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:32 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Because if they threw out the whole OT they'd lose the 10 commandments, aka the morality clause.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:34 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Answered at 4:23 PM on May. 31, 2009 by: scout575 I could elaborate, but if you are not a believer of it anyway.. then you will make your own assumptions for why the Bible is laid out the way it is.

I can appreciate theology that I don't believe in & like to understand people's interpretations - thus I ask these questions- so if you would like to share more please do.

In my previous question on body modification I posted an argument I found online (it is long, sorry) about this issue if you would like to consider the issue I would love to hear comments on it.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:44 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I can explain it to you. I am eating my In n Out Burger right now so I can't type it all out. I will write more later. But essentially, the OT is has not been negated by the NT-- It has been fulfilled in the NT. Everything in the OT points to the salvation that God offers through Jesus. When you study this it will blow you away (or maybe it just does that with me : ) LOL.

Anyways, back to my burger.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:49 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Where would you get the history, the background, the prophesies, and all of the great lessons learned in the Old Testiment? Could you imagine life without Proverbs or the Psalms? Can't you just enjoy the entire book without overthinking it too much?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Jesus didn't "negate" the Old Testament. He FULFILLED the Old Law so that we could be FREE in Him.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 5:43 PM on May. 31, 2009