Successful VBAC Mommies

Can I hear your story, what happened, what you did, how was your doctor throughout the whole thing?

I'm 9 weeks pregnant with baby #2, my son will be six months old on the 12th (not much time to recover from first c-section, I know). My incision is low, small, and horizontal. I'm young and healed very quickly. It's not even pink anymore, just a small, white scar.

Any advice on what I can do for this pregnancy to help my chances? I was thinking staying as small as possible would help but I can't go to the doctor until I get my insurance going. Does it even matter how big you get? Also I wanted a natural birth, stay at home laboring as long as possible (hospital literally 2mins away), then giving birth at hospital with no epidural unless I just couldn't take it anymore then I'd want a walking epidural.

Any help from mommas about VBACS or NATURAL BIRTHS would definitely help ease my worries. Thanks ladies!

ours

Asked by ours at 4:19 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i had two all natural vbacs! my cesarian was so scary i almost didnt have more kids! now i wish i could handle more kids just so i could labor again!
    i used a midwife. they are very supportive of vbacs. i read the book "natural childbirth the bradley way" by susan mccutchen-rosegg. it is great!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 4:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Do you have to pay for midwifes? How does that work? I guess I could "google" it haha.
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:31 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I was going to do a VBAC, but I did end up opting for a repeat section, my midwife even assisted with the surgery and said I wouldn't have been able to deliver naturally. Anyway my midwife was in with the Doctors office that I went to so it was all billed thru insurance. I had a planned VBAC till a week before I delievered and was even given the option before they took me back for surgery to try VBAC and I declined. Anyway,, I was told that as soon as the contractions started to at least call and as soon as they got to 5-7 min I needed to get to the hospital so that I could be monitored in case of rupture. I live about 8 min from the hospital. It will all depend on your Dr or MW as to when they want you to come to the hospital. Good Luck and I hope it works out for you.
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 6:31 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I had a VBAC 17 months after my c-sect. I think it is best to focus on gaining the amount of weight that is best for your baby. Gaining excess can always make delivery more complicated. Read as much as you can about VBAC. My Dr. was very supportive. I changed because my first Dr. recommended a repeat c-sect. I found a Dr. who would support me with a VBAC, so you may need to shop around with Drs and/or hospitals, as not all hospitals will allow it.
    After a very long "failure to progress" labor and emergency c-sec the first time, I had a 3 hour labor, 100% natural un-medicated birth with number 2. If I NEED a c-sect. again in the future I will do it, but I would NEVER volunteer for one if there was any chance I could deliver vaginally!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:03 PM on May. 31, 2009

• That's so good to hear! I didn't progress well at all either, so hopefully this time my body is ready to dilate!
    ours

Answer by ours at 7:56 PM on May. 31, 2009

• my insurance covered my midwife... i had medicaid
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 7:59 PM on May. 31, 2009