Do you always follow the ratings on movies when deciding if your child can watch it or not?

If it says PG-13, would you let your child younger than that watch it? Have you ever let your young child watch a movie and then regretted it later because they emulate things or ask questions about what is happening?

MansfieldMomma

Asked by MansfieldMomma at 4:21 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I agree wtih MansfieldMomma - I watch first. For example, my daughter loves dragons. Should I let her watch Sleeping Beauty? It's rated G afterall. Surely that means it's appropriate for her, doens't it? Of course not. She's not quite 3 and gets upset when anything "mean" happens in a movie. While "Sleeping Beauty" is a good movie and a classic folk tale, she is not ready for it. And I don't want to ruin her love of dragons with a mean one or deal with the nightmares afterward.
    Ratings are a guide. If you rely strictly on them, then they are no longer guides but self-made laws.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I always watch the movies first and if I believe that it is not inappropriate for my oldest daughter to watch I will let her, but i always have to see it myself at least once. For instance, she loves Jim Carrey so she likes to watch Liar, Liar and Fun Witj Dick and Jane. If there is a scene coming up that I think is not suitable for her I will skip to the next frame, and she doesn't seem to mind at all because she doesn't realize she is missing it. If she asks why I just tell her I don't like that part.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 4:24 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Nope, because the ratings are jacked up anyway, IMO. Some things PG-13 has in them are nudity, sensuality, sexual scenes, cussing, violence and things unhealthy for them. I'm not saying I'd rule them all out, because you can't hardly find a movie without it, but I'd def. avoid letting them watch some movies depending on the content and severity of it. I think I'd watch the movie first, at least until they are older.
    Anonymous

• eh, my 2 year old has seen SAW. He didn't care though. No nighmears or anything said or done. It depends on the kid.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2009