Regrets about church......

My DH grew up in church and I didn't! We have a 3 year old that I want to be in church and my Dh doesn't think it is a big deal! I am scared that one day i will regret her not going to church! Anybody else regretted this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I dont regret it at all.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:20 PM on May. 31, 2009

• My mom regretted it. We didn't go to church when I was growing up. And now that she has gotten more serious about her faith and she sees how we are raising our kids, she does regret not raising me in the church. I was a totally rebellious teen (but church kids can be that way too). But she is happy because she feels I turned out okay : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:36 PM on May. 31, 2009

• We had been very faithful members until we started doing foster care, then the crazy schedules we had kept us from going & enjoying the service. We didnt start our current FS until 9 mos and our FD was approaching her 3rd bday. I felt so bad for the 3 y/o who didn't understand why things were happening like they were (being removed, visiting parents every week, but not able to go home) that I wanted her to learn about Jesus (never heard of him) in the short time that she was going to be with us. In 3 months, she learned more than she'd known her whole life. I can only hope that it was a seed planted, and that wherever she is, she'll know that God loves her. I feel a huge responsibilty for the children placed in our care. I can't imagine what you are feeling. Just know that God chose you above all others to mother your child. He'd want you to teach her about Him. Hope this helps!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:42 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I am not sure there is a Sunday that goes by that I don't regret taking my kids to church from an early age. My husband and I were different religions and instead of teaching them about both religions we taught them nothing. Years later I started to teach my children and take them to church every Sunday. The older two can take it or leave it while the younger two are asking to go to church. When times get hard I see my 5yo turn to God, my 14 yo gets angry. I do regret it...every single day and on Sundays the most. The whole line of when they grow up they can make a choice is a cop out. We are parents it is our JOB to teach our children how to tie their shoes, what foods to eat and how to get spiritual nourishment.

Anonymous

• Go to church and take your daughter. You and she will learn and hopefully love and be loved when you find the right church for you. Many husband's do not go to church and their wives go without them. I started out that way in my marriage and I am that way again. Do not missed the opportunities waiting for your husband. Be prepared to balance church activities with what he wants to do though so he would not resent you for the time you spend there. Once you start going, you'll know what to do or who to ask for help with it.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:00 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I have raised my children in church, like I was raised but I spend alot more time with my children and take the time to answer their questions about the church. I am very glad with the way they have turned out, they are teens involved in the youth group, my son is leaving for a mission trip to help in Costa Rica, neither of them are having sex and not taking drugs. I know there are plent of other kids who aren't in chuch that turn out great too but I know mine are involved enough to stay out of trouble so I appreciate the church having functions for them to participate in. For us, it has worked out great!
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 11:16 PM on May. 31, 2009

• nope... I don't believe in God.. when she is older.. she can make the choice to go or not.. I won't hold my daughter back from believing in anything..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:23 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• If you want to take her to church, go right ahead, If you think one day you'll regret it. I didn't grow up in church, my mother did, but we didn't go when we were younger. I now attend church and I love it. When she grows up she will make her own decision anyway. I know I probably sound hypocritical for a Christian, but it's the truth. I hope my daughter decides to continue going to church when she is old enough to make the decision herself... but I cannot force her. All I can do is pray for her.
    kayla_trinity

Answer by kayla_trinity at 3:47 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My only regret was in forcing them into the church when they were too young to decide for themselves. I have since apologised to my daughter for this as I think is wrong for a parent to do. And I've tried to apologise to my son, but he has that selective deafness that all christians seem to have.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I regretted most of my church experiance as a child and did hold some resentment towards my mom for making me go. However, she soon saw the errors involved with the church and Xtianity and quit going and quit making me go. I was encouraged to find my own path and ask questions. I am very happy now as an Agnostic (theist) and will encourage my kids to take lessons from all religions and not limit themselves to one way of being.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2009