Appropriate, or no way?!

Do you think a 2nd grade teacher should be allowed to post "sexy" pictures on facebook??? My son's teacher is on facebook & her profile picture is her in a red strapless dress. One hand is her hiking up the skirt to her hip, and in the other hand, she's holding out an apple. It's a cute picture, but for a 40-something 2nd grade teacher...Is that really appropriate?!!? Should it be reported to the school???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on May. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• As a teacher- I say, absolutely not.

Sorry... as is the case when you take on a job that puts you in a leadership role, you have to be careful about what you do. I have a facebook and myspace account and I know that my students look me up there- I make sure that I am always presenting a positive and responsible image of myself. Even second graders grow up and learn to use the computer.

The same argument goes with teachers going out to bars and parties... sure their is no reason why they shouldn't- but you are always on and always need to take care of the way you present yourself. Your credibility and professional status depends on it. Teachers set a standard and all of our children look to them as role models...
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:18 PM on May. 31, 2009

• What she does on her spare time is none of anyone's business. I'm pretty sure 2nd graders aren't looking her up on facebook. Teachers do have a life outside of school. If she was a high school teacher, maybe it would be questionable, but it's not like she's emailing sexy pics to all her students or something!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 5:56 PM on May. 31, 2009

• As long as she keeps it appropiate and clean I don't c why she shouldn't do what she wants. It's not like your son has a myspace...or does he?

That is her business if you don't approve don't check it out...you asked.

Anonymous

• I agree with Steff, as long as she's not bringing that behavior to the school its no one's business what she does.
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 6:11 PM on May. 31, 2009

• She is posting it on facebook, not at school. It sounds to me like she needs to be more careful about who she lets see her profile.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:41 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I think that she should be keeping her profile private and being cautious of what pictures she post. I think what she wants to do in her spare time is her business but I also think that there is the reality that parents/professionals are going to be checking those kinds of places. It is common practice at some companies for them to google your name and search myspace and facebook before hiring. I can only imagine more places will start doing that. It gives and employer a good idea of the kind of person they are looking into. Do I agree with it? No absolutely not. I think that it is that persons business and should not be drug into that persons professional life. Again though, you have to look at the reality of it. Once you post it it is no longer private and there fore fair game. What do I think you should do? I have no idea. I personally would leave it alone if there was no other problems.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:02 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Unless the picture was taken while she was standing at the front of her class, I don't see a problem. She's a teacher yes, but she does have a life outside of work, just as you or I do. None of her students will see it unless mom or dad pull it up and then go, "Hey, Jonny, come look at how your teacher is dressed!", and if that happens, then the teacher dressing sexy is NOT the problem this child has. I'd mind my own business, I really don't care what my kid's teacher does on her own time, so long as it doesn't bleed over to the classroom, meaning: no coming to school hungover, drunk, high, otherwise altered, no stalking one night stands coming in, things like that.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:13 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Is she a good teacher? Does she treat your child well? Then that is all that matters. What she does in her own personal life is honestly NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. You don't like it don't look.
    Teachers do have a right to have their own lives. She is not a memeber of the cleregy, she did not take a vow to be only a teacher ....
    live and let live
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:29 PM on May. 31, 2009

• That's really none of your business. She isn't naked. She's a person too and can have some fun. Leave her private life alone.

You might not be too pleased if you knew how many grown adults still smoke pot then...I'm willing to bet there are some teachers that do it!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:54 PM on May. 31, 2009

• What she does at home is her own business. As long as she's not doing this is class, you would be overstepping boundaries to report her.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 11:31 PM on May. 31, 2009