my one year old is scared to bath all he does is cry at the site of water i have tried everything... Help!!!! does anyone have any tips

youngmom147

Asked by youngmom147 at 5:53 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take a bath with him let him know its ok
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 5:56 PM on May. 31, 2009

• maybe sponge bath him until he feel more comfortable

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 6:00 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I would recommend trying to get him used to water. Take baths with him (if you feel comfortable with it) and let him play with water toys, and take him to a swimming pool and let him splash around and play with water toys. When he sees other people having fun swimming I'm sure he'll be reluctant to try it and not scream away when he comes within 10 feet of water.
    Good luck! =)
    bluegirlmommy

Answer by bluegirlmommy at 6:02 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Well, my daughter has the same problem with all water, not just bath water. It was suggested that she may have a sensory issue with water and her feet. that seems to be her problem. I would suggest talking to the doc.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:02 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I sit on the side of the tub with my kids on my lap and let them play with the hand held shower head. They splash and play with the water while I give them a bath. It's like a game to them. Just be sure to wear a bathing suit.
    Anonymous

• make it fun, get toys, bubble bath, there are little fizzies that turn the water diff colors. my daughter loves bath time b/c she never knows if its just going to be a quick in and out or if i've decided to give her a treat and do a bubble bath or color the water.
    you can get a small plastic pool for the backyard and put a little bit of water in it, not even enough to cover his toes and let him play around in it a bit til he gets used to it then slowly add more water each time he gets in.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:34 PM on May. 31, 2009

• My son kind of had the water phobia. This is what I did. If he has bath toys, let him stand outside the tub with you. You throw one of his bath toys in there, and then hand him one and let him do it. He will eventually see that if his toys are o.k. nd he will want to ry it out himself. Plus, he will want his toys back..:) At that stage of independence, he wants to figure things out for himself..so let him and If that fails..then you get in the bath, and just look at him and tell him its ok. Sing and act like you are having fun in there....seems like alot of work, but it worked well with my son. He is almost 2 now...he will eat dinner and then when he is through and I take his diaper off, he runs to the bathroom happy!!
    BrittanyShay

Answer by BrittanyShay at 7:35 PM on May. 31, 2009

• My son had the same thing, so I bought him some bath toys and sat/played with him in the bathtub for a couple of days. After that, I made sure to sit him in the bath tub first and I just sat outside of the tub, and he started getting comfortable. Now its his favorite part of the day.. I have trouble getting him out ;)
    SinCitiChick

Answer by SinCitiChick at 8:21 PM on May. 31, 2009

• my name is Alicia im a educational consultant for discovery toys. i used to take a bath with my daughter she plays with the bath toys that i sell we have bathtime bugs which is a awesome bathtime toy my daughter loves it in the bathtub.
    www.discoverytoyslink.com/AliciaGoldstein
    aliciag7872

Answer by aliciag7872 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2009