Daycare Birthday Parties?

My DS will be 1 in August. Several of the children at the daycare have birthday parties there that their parents throw. The majority of them bring cake, ice cream, & goody bags. (usually filled w/ candy & plastic toys.) I like the cake & ice cream part, but not the goody bags. My DS is 9 months now, so he really doesn't have a favorite character or anything yet, but I was thinking of Spider Man, Spongebob, or Winne the Pooh for one of those cupcake cakes. I will probably just go ahead and do just cake & ice cream at daycare. The age range of the children are 6-18 mos or so. (He is in the 6-12mo. class, but they usually combine the 2 age groups for parties & the teachers complain when you provide for just one of the classes b/c the rooms are close & they don't want their class to be left out. I think that's an imposition on the parent, but whatever.) I just don't know what else to do for the daycare party. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• FROM OP: Also, I will probably have a small party at home. I don't many many friends or relatives. What should I do for a home party with so few people? Probably 5 or less.
    Anonymous

• For my kids I just sent a cake to school and they sang happy bday and cut the cake around snack time. I did that bc I didnt know if the parents would bring their kids to my house since we dont know eachother. I buy another bigger cake for the house and sing happy bday with my immediate family and take pics and the kids open their presents. Nothing big until they get older
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 6:05 PM on May. 31, 2009

• First of all, if you can't afford to include every body at his day care and the next class over (just so their feelings don't get hurt) send him with an extra cool snack (a $5 box of cookies apposed to $20 for a cake for the whole school!) and that's all I would do. Especially if you are having a cake for him at home with people that are important. I wouldn't worry too much what DAY CARE wants you to do.

My LO also turns one in August. We will have a BBQ for the adults and some of her cousins will come over, but it's mainly for our family and close family friends to celebrate her first year since she won't remember it. I will get her a personal cake to wear but no decorations or fancy goody bags! SHE'S 1 PEOPLE!! lol :)
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 9:13 PM on May. 31, 2009