ooooooh . . . What do you think of this?

We are always talking about judmental attitudes here, so I was reading this and I wanted to know what you all think. This is Jon Courson talking about the topics of love, Jesus washing feet, and judging.

"If you are not willing to wash feet, then keep your mouth closed when you see dirt. When I see dirt, I can either talk about the dirt, which is then called judging-- or I can involve myself in that person's life by tending the situation on my knees in humility through intercession. Jesus chose the latter. He didn't simply point out the dirt on the feet of His disciples. He did something about it."

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 6:19 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Another thought here, Jesus didn't call the dirt on the diciples feet anything but dirt.  Nor did he ever not call sin, sin.  I think it is just as bad not to call the things that God hates, that God has said are sin, sin. 

We also have churches that are clearly not calling sin, what it is.  We cannot clean our own dirt or come to God to be cleaned up if we refuse to see it.  Nor can we help others to God by not recognising their sin. 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:37 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I love the way he talks about it. I am not personally Christian but i think it's a great analogy. Very well put.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:21 PM on May. 31, 2009

• This is great! Anyone of any religion can benefit from this. It's truly deep and meaningful. I also liked it because I do pedicures for a living! lol couldn't help myself!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:22 PM on May. 31, 2009

• At face value, it seems mildly insulting comparing a persons faith to dirt on a person's feet.

Beyond that I think the comment is arrogant at best.  This statement implies that you (Christians) have the capability to change the religious opinions of others.  That others are weaker in faith and therefore can be swayed as long as you (Christians) take action.

Is he suggesting that your (Christians) involvement in a person's life who does not share you faith should be solely about trying to change their beliefs???  That is not how you develop or build any relationship and that is not how you are going to convince a person that they negative stigmas about your faith are not correct.

Why not just accept that some people do not mind having dirty feet???

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 6:29 PM on May. 31, 2009

• anetrnlov, according to the analogy the dirt isn't the person's religious beliefs. The dirt is their failures, sins, things that bug you, personality flaws, etc. Whatever you have a problem with. It could be an addiction to drugs or alcohol, an anger problem, or even a critical self-righteous attitude that some Christians can sometimes get.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:33 PM on May. 31, 2009

• My apologies.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 6:34 PM on May. 31, 2009

• This ministered to me alot because there is a girl at my church who is very prideful. She thinks she is better than everyone else and in her efforts to impress people and let us know how very "special" she is, she makes everyone else feel so inferior and stupid.

Today I was a little grumpy because it can be so annoying, and it turns people off. But when I read this I was like, "Okay Brandi, you just need to love this person. Don't talk bad about her to your mom or hubby. Don't look down on her. Do something about it; pray for her."
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:36 PM on May. 31, 2009

• And look at me, here I am complaining about someone who is judgmental and critical. Oh the hypocrisy : ). I have become critical and judgemental too.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:37 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Just what exactly are you interceding? What gives you the right to do something about somebody elses business? It comes across presumptuous to me. But to each there own.
    Anonymous

• I also found this insulting especially for the implication that I am a sinner!  What is sin (apart from anything illegal)?  Tattoos, alcohol, sex, music, profanity, working on Sunday, homosexuality, a different religion, pre-marital sex?

I have read so many conflicting views on these things and all of them from Christians!  I see no sin here!  I truly live by the philosophy live and let live.  I really believe that "sin" is a euphemism for "I don't approve of that so you shouldn't do it!"  I'm sorry but I'm just not going to live my life like that, I'm going to live it for me.  And I think if everyone lived for themselves and stopped fretting about how others lived we would have world peace! 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:26 PM on May. 31, 2009