Schwarzenegger to close 220 parks in CA to save money?

How do you feel about Arnie deciding to close hundreds of CA parks to save about $70M?

Spending on parks would eliminate $70Million through June 2010, and an additional $143.4Million the following fiscal year by keeping the parks closed. CA would leave enough money to run only 59 of CA's 279 state parks. These parks attract nearly 80 million visitors a year. Some of the parks closing will be Lake Tahoe's Emerald Bay, Will Rogers' Southern Califormia ranch, and Humboldt Redwoods state park. Even the governor's mansion in Sacramento may close.

Do you think this will hurt revenue and just make the parks dirty, polluted, endangered, etc? Do you think that social programs are drying up the all the money and taking over the good of the state?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 6:45 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Social programs are ALSO on the chopping block. I think what really created our problems was our penchant for legislating by initiative. There's an awful lot of money spent in the process of vetting measures for petition drives, verifying petitions, and so on....and this piecemeal legislation can caus ebig problems.

There's also an incredible amount of waste in government construction...remember the old saw about how many CalTrans workers it takes to fix a pothole? It's based in truth.

I have to wonder if we also dug our own grave with the recall that put Arnold in office in the first place. I *know*....things were bad under Davis but a lot of that came down from the WIlson administration too, especially the power situation.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:05 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I could be wrong, but I thought he had actually mentioned selling some of the parks to private owners?
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 7:52 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Ahnuld is an idiot. It's my understanding that we make more than 2 dollars for every 1 spent on the state parks, not to mention the tourism money to stores, restaurants, hotels etc.

Funny how our defecit amount is pretty close to what Enron ripped us off for. Which Arnie was complicit in.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 7:52 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Cali is how the rest of the country will be soon. Californians want all their laws and social entitlements but don't want to pay for them. I don't want a dime of my money going to bail their butts out. I lived there for a few years Arnold tried to fix things then gave up. Who can blame them the Congress there and the people there are stupid.
    Anonymous

• I'm from CA and I don't vote for all that crap they try to push day in and day out. Thanks for insulting my intelligence.
    kittymommy

Answer by kittymommy at 9:28 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Now all the bums in CA will have a lovely place to live. Parks will be a mess. Homeless get paid, get 3 meals a day, harass everyone on the street for money, and now will have the parks to themselves to hang out all day long. niiiiice work california. must be so proud.
    Anonymous

• You get what you vote for. Ignorant politicians mortgaged to vested interests mean bad government. You saw it under Bush, you are seeing it under Arnie. Next time , vote for someone who understands politics but not at the expense of economics and who is not under the influence of big money.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:33 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Obviously some conrers need to be cut but maybe start with the politicians pockets and the dividers that someone was talking about. Not the parks which unless they have nothing surrounding them and fired lifeguards and storekeepers and closed them like they did in Pa thenthey bring in actual revenue. Next they need to explaint to people that they need to raise taxes for entitlement programs and why. Next do not throw in pork in the bills supposrting the programs and people will vote for it. Once you atrat pulling programs due to actual lack of funds after cutting pay etc. then people will get there is no other way.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:49 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• It's interesting, but doesn't Pelosi also represent California? She is way more powerful that Arnold, yet nobody is pointing a finger at her. What a bunch of cackling little girls. Always so quick to point out that things don't happen just because one person makes the decision. A state's govt. works much like our Federal government. If they don't bring Arnie some good legislation and ideas, then he has nothing to work with. How many reps in Cali are Dem and how many are Rep? Oh, unless we don't want to talk about that.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Anon - 9:42 - Actually I give Arnie A LOT of credit. He doesn't have to work, let alone be a Governor of a very sad state unless he didn't feel that he could help. You are right. It is not a one man job, and he started with a crappy state. THE PEOPLE of CA are to blame. So, that means their parks and the natural beauty of the state will suffer, along with the tourism businesses...very sad! All because they are over-indulged and want everything for everyone! SOCIALISM DOES NOT WORK.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 2:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2009