5 month old baby girl displaying odd behavior?

Saturday evening, I took my daughter outside to get her used to being outside. She was doing fne for a while...until she started screaming. I was thinking she was probably hungry and was ready to go down for the night. She didn't want to eat (my daughter loves to eat so this was quite unusual for her). Her diaper was clean and she was dressed lightly. But all she wanted to do was scream like she was being hurt. I finally put her on my shoulder and started singing and she finally fell alseep--but she had an extremly restless nigt.
Today she is still having screaming fits, all together she has eaten 4 oz. She still doesnt want to eat. I checked her whole body and she doesn't have a sunburn and she doesn't have any visible stings, bites, or bruises, and the thermometer indicted she was only 97.2 (under arm temperture).I do not know if it's just the heat doing this or what it is. Can anyone tell me if I shold be concerned here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• omg it sounds like my 7 weekold. Nothing wrong with him but suddenly just crying almost screaming and nothing makes him happy until he sleeps hard.i think it has to be the heaty. Even tho we think its hot/cool//not warm..their little bodies register temp differently and i am calling his doc tomorrow because you are right, its weird and sudden. I dont want to be trapped in the hpouse because of this all summer.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:09 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Wow, I have no idea, just wanted to sugest maybe calling her Dr in the morning and getting another point of view on things. I was goingt o sugest checking for bites and such, but it seems you already have that covered. Everything I would have thought to do anyway. Poor baby, hope she gets to feeling her old self again soon, I know you must be worried.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 7:10 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Another thought...
    Does anyone in your family ave allergies? They can be hereditary, and if this is the first time she has really spent time outside it may be that her throat and eyes are itchy and blurry/watery. That wuld maybe explain the not eating alot too, if her throat hurts. I would call the Dr though, it's just to wierd not to follow up on it.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 7:12 PM on May. 31, 2009

• You might want I take her to the doctor to see why she is suddenly behaving strangely. Could be an allergy to a certain food, or pain that she is experiencing and has no way but crying to let you know. Sorry I can't help more.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 7:13 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Any recent vaccinations or exposure to new foods or medications?
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:57 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I watched a thing about an allergy to the sun the other day... the baby on there was doing the same thing. Maybe you should have her tested for it. Really rare/ uncommon, but you said it just happeded when you took her outside, so it made me think of that.
    emmetsmom09

Answer by emmetsmom09 at 7:58 PM on May. 31, 2009

• You probably thought of this, but I would think ear infection or teething. Neither would have to do with being outside, but the not eating makes me think teething. My DD started teething at the end of the 4th month (way early) so badly that I brought her to the doc thinking she had an ear infection. She was pulling on her ear but it was because her gums hurt. Try something cool (not too cold) for her to chew on and see if that helps, I use baby orajel if it gets too bad.
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 8:13 PM on May. 31, 2009

• my daughter would do that every night through out her first summer. the only two things that would make her stop and fall asleep would be to take a 2-3 hour walk in the stroller or stand in front of the fan for almost an hour just to make sure she was good and asleep. the only thing I could think of was that she was too hot and need to cool off.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 8:33 PM on May. 31, 2009

• She could be growing. I don't know if you remember growing pains, but I do. Especially in my legs. They are VERY uncomfortable!! If that is what it is, it would come in waves and a lot of times babies will sleep more than they eat through this uncomfortable time. This would be sudden and no physical sign of discomfort.
    They say babies hit a growth spurt around 4-5 weeks and 5-6 months.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 8:48 PM on May. 31, 2009