Planting flowers: Can you just dig up a hole in the grass, put the plant in, put dirt in to fill up hole and?

and then just put mulch on the surrounding grass to make it look like the whole garden has been dug up? I've been digging up the top grass (I don't know what to do with it b/c i live in a townhome and there's NOWHERE to ditch the clump of grassy dirt) and putting the clump on top of grass elsewhere. Can I just simply lay mulch on top of the grass around the new plant? Will that kill all the grass under it effectively, or will the grass sprout up through it?
I think I'm overdoing things by digging up a whole area before digging the holes.
Can anyone understand what I"m trying to say? :) It's hard to explain without taking a picture and diagramming it.

mybabies

Asked by mybabies at 7:17 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Mulch would allow the grass to come up through it. You could use black plastic mulch, which would kill the grass. I'd be a little careful that it didn't make the plant roots too hot and that it was pressed down around the plant roots so the plant would get enough water. You could put bark mulch over the black plastic to look nicer. The best thing to do would be to dig up the grass, shake off as much of the dirt from the clumps as you could, and then dispose of the grass if you don't want to put it on a bare patch or compost it. Or perhaps there is a woods somewhere around where you could place it, or a friend who would have some spare space.

Answer by Bmat at 7:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I have this tips and trick book and it says you can do just that....heavily mulch a grass area and spot plant...although it would probably depend on the grass and the amount of mulch you use. I can get free mulch from our towns compose yard..perhaps you can do the same. You can also use weed-block plastic...its a roll of plastic usually 3x10-15'... it allows water to penetrate but will block sprouting plants. I've also heard using newspaper....lay it over the area, cover with mulch..I would use a bulb digger to spot plant. If you do decide to dig up the grass this made my life so much easier http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=286934-1078-79936935&lpage=none
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:58 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• This is the weed block fabric...its way bigger than the one I have...just to give you an idea, I'm sure you can find smaller ones if needed.
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=254519-23132-19992&lpage=none
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2009