Religion gives us some of the most thought provoking questions.

Holy books instruct us to kill people for working on the wrong day (Exodus 31:15), or saying the wrong words (Leviticus 24:17) or because they're homosexual (Leviticus 20:13), and millions believe these are the words of God, so is it possible that religions inherently breed violence, or is it just some religions, or do they only do so if people really take their religions seriously? Most people would condemn a person who said these things, so why do they worship gods who say them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The non-violent religions far outnumber the violent, the problem is the violent have more adherents. Next question - what does THAT say about humanity?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:24 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I'm with NP.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:35 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I agree too, but a person who is a fanatic, hung up so much on certain convictions derived from whatever his holy book states and determined to as much damage to those who supposedly sin, according to him, can cause so many deaths, injuries, damage or destruction of infrastructures, necessary for societies to function, etc. that in my opinion the good in religions is overshadowed by the bad that religions have in them.

BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 8:07 PM on May. 31, 2009

• What it says about humanity is that we are saturated with prejudice, many times hate to those who are different, in many different ways, and want to show our superiority to them by fighting them or even killing. Wanting to show our superiority is often a sign of low self esteem. Crap, blame the parents, again.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 8:11 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Are you anti-semetic?
    Anonymous

• Ah, but the same bible also says it is wrong to kill. So, for me, the bible is just a book stories that were written to keep people in line and to give hope.
    I think people fear what they do not understand. They then make the assumption that it is either dangerous or wrong. This is where hate and violence come in.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:31 PM on May. 31, 2009

• If you are sincere about your belief that God is Almighty and is to be worshiped and submitted to, it seems kind of silly to think you would second guess God. In other words, I may not understand it but that does not mean God does not deserved to be respected for being God. Does that make sense to you?
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:55 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Ok, once again, I will say that Jesus fulfilled the Old Law, sooooo lets look to the New Testament where Jesus says to let the SINLESS man cast the first stone. Jesus was the ONLY sinless man and he did not throw stones.

Now you have to look at the ways of the Old Testament days. There were no prisons or jails. If someone hated you, they stoned you to death (or killed you some other way) or sold you as a slave. Now we have jails.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:31 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Praise Jesus!!!
    I will follow him anywhere, anytime,any place.
    We can love him only because he loved us first.
    God bless
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 10:47 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I dont think they make us kill, god is very loving he forbids murder.Maybe you have the wrong religion
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 11:07 PM on May. 31, 2009